Prancing Pony Black Ale - Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
Had this beer at a restaurant last night and it was a ripper. Am hoping someone knows of it. Was described on the bottle as a black IPA. Would like to try to do something similar for winter as a partial but not being familiar with the style am unsure where to begin. Would it be as simple as a standard IPA with some roasted grain? Or am I looking at something a bit like a porter? Description from their website suggests something between a black ale and a stout.

From their website:
http://prancingponybrewery.com.au/#our-beers
BLACK ALE
The Pony says ‘This pony is dark and can’t be seen at night’
Tasting Notes

(6% Alc.), 3 times hopped

This dark ale is between an ‘American Black Ale’ and ‘American Stout’ according to British Ale Style Guide. Designed with reduced burned roast astringency and low on dry roast bitterness finishing normally found in stouts, this Black Ale has been crafted with a balanced towards rich roasted malty flavours, coffee, chocolate, liquorice and molasses. Late, lingering with moderate bitterness to balance the initial sweetness.

A big body yet light and easy to drink. Ideally matched with slow cooked meat dishes like shanks, beef cheeks, stews and bakes, this ale is also a favourite with desserts.

Moderate bitterness 35 IBU

Also this:

http://craftypint.com/beer/3205/prancing-pony-black-ale

It's black and it's 6 percent in alcohol, so you may well be surprised when you put a glass of Prancing Pony's Black Ale to your lips as it's a light-bodied and rather easy-drinking affair. Designed to appeal "equally well to lovers of stouts, porters and dark ales" by the brewer, it's perhaps best thought of as having the colour of a stout, some of the dark malt flavours of a stout and porter and the light body and floral hops of a dark ale. There's a "late, lingering, moderate bitterness to balance the initial sweetness", with those in the know suggesting it's great with slow cooked meat dishes like shanks, beef cheeks, stews and bakes.

Struggling to find any other info on this beer but seems to be a cross between a Dark IPA and a Robust Porter. So was thinking a mix of a porter with a recent successful hop schedule I used on a Hop Hog copy. Some ingredients I already have on hand so looking to use them up. Only my third partial so happy for some advice on my grains.

Pony Porter:
Black Rock Unhopped Dark Extract 1.5kg
Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg
DDME 1kg
Choc Malt 400g
Carafa II 250g
Carared 250g
Roasted Barley 100g

60 min boil
Amarillo 8g @ 15 mins
Simocoe 8g @ 15 mins
Centennial 8g @ 15 mins
Citra 8g @ 15 mins
Amarillo 6g @ Dry Hopped after 5 days
Simcoe 6g @ Dry Hopped after 5 days
Centennial 6g @ Dry Hopped after 5 days
Citra 6g @ Dry Hopped after 5 days

Yeast is Danstar Nottingham

Ian's spready suggests this will give me ABV 7.5% and IBU of 53.6

To my way of thinking
Designed with reduced burned roast astringency and low on dry roast bitterness finishing normally found in stouts
This would tend to indicate the use of Caraffa Special II or III for colour. Maybe replace your Roast Barley with Caraffa III.

Cheers,

Screwy

Screwtop said:
To my way of thinking

This would tend to indicate the use of Caraffa Special II or III for colour. Maybe replace your Roast Barley with Caraffa III.

Cheers,

Screwy
Thanks Screwy. Will look into that. Does the balance between my specialty grains and the "base" delivered through the extracts look ok? Last brew it was suggested that I had gone with too much leaving me with a high FG and sweetness.

Killer Brew said:
Thanks Screwy. Will look into that. Does the balance between my specialty grains and the "base" delivered through the extracts look ok? Last brew it was suggested that I had gone with too much leaving me with a high FG and sweetness.

Looks fine.

Screwy

As screwy suggested try some carafa, or midnight wheat if you can get your hands on some. It's able to push the colour up heaps with a smooth, subdued, roasty flavour. Steep in cold water during the mash and add in to the mash during mashout.

Back