Potting Mixes For Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Fitty send me some hop rizhomes recently which I put into big pots

My mix so far has been from the big green shed.

It consists of the cheapest bagged compost and cow or sheep manure

My mix is 2 x bags of richgrow compost @ 5$ each and 1 x bag of Cow or Sheep manure @ 6$ each

Cost me $16 for 75ltrs

The trick is to go past the $$$$$ poting mixes and make your own

I just mix them in a wheel barrow then fill my pots

Basically 2 x bags of cheap compost and 1 x bags of sheep/cow mixed well

I collect my own sheep manure out of the shed where the sheep shelter from the summer sun. It's pulverized from them walking on it. It's out of the rain and so is not leached, and it's high in nitrogen from them wizzing on it. I mix in some river sand which I collect from out of the river and a little soil, and Bob's your uncle. :D
However I plant my hops straight into my excellent well drained clay soil which I enrich with the aforementioned sheep manure. :lol:

I collect my own sheep manure out of the shed where the sheep shelter from the summer sun. It's pulverized from them walking on it. It's out of the rain and so is not leached, and it's high in nitrogen from them wizzing on it. I mix in some river sand which I collect from out of the river and a little soil, and Bob's your uncle. :D
However I plant my hops straight into my excellent well drained clay soil which I enrich with the aforementioned sheep manure. :lol:

I get small truckloads of mushroom compost and add it to the soil, this, heavy mulch with pea straw and a dose of blood and bone twice a year seems to grow just about everything really well. Keep the water up to them- seriously every day in summer given they are in pots - the closest I got to pots was tyres in year 1, and the hops couldn't stretch roots out the way they like to, and seem to have thirst that matched my own!!

Potting mixes are designed for good water holding capacity; which compost will have; but also a good air filled porosity (the amount of air held in a soil mix). Just be careful with high amounts of compost in a pot, it has a high air filled porosity, too high for a potting mix at first and then as it breaks down it becomes to low. This affects the amount of root growth as the roots need some air for healthy growth especially hops.

Also using garden soil as a potting mix can have too much clay which will sink to the bottom of the pot and block the drainage holes. I would be adding as hoppy2b said 50 to 70% course river sand to any compost or good loamy garden soil in a pot to stop root rot. If you go with a higher rates of compost its best to repot more regularly.

Google search some potting mix recipes.

:icon_cheers:

Tom

I think one of the most important things with a potting mix is a good slow release fertiliser eg osmocote. Just a little bit of osmocote gives all the nutrients plants need, otherwise you run the risk of deficiencies of some nutrient. I make my mix from 3parts composted pine bark, 2 parts coarse sand and the recommended dose of osmocote. Professional potting mixes usually use osmocote.

Hey,

Im looking for some hop plants, can we organize something, i can help you with your soil.

Thanks,

Mason

Back