Post Surgery Beer Blues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
5 weeks ago I had a shoulder reconstruction :( and ever since I can't stomach any beer. I want a beer, I would love a couple. I dont know what the doc did in there but I have opened about 10 king browns now and had to tip em all out. :blink: I even brewed some extra brews prior to surgery to build up supplies but I have had to give a lot away. I have in stock a Oktoberfest, Irish Red, Czech Pils, still got some of Doc's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter and another couple that have slipped my memory.
Has anyone else suffered this type of post surgery trauma? Its so bad I even bought a case of Coopers to try and get me back on track.
Its a sad tale, I know, especially when I have a tonne of AG equip. Lets hope things improve! :angry:

Stephen

Got my knee operated on a couple of months ago but no adverse reaction to my stomach!

You better post down some of your stock before is goes off :p ;)

Genaral anaesthetics can do funny things to your system. They say it takes the brain 12 months to fully get over the effects. I've also heard that it's equivalent to being knocked out by a heavyweight boxer (not the physical damage of course; just the effects on the brain).

The good news is that you WILL recover your taste buds - it'll just take awhile :beer:

After being in a drug induced coma for 3 weeks, then on morphine for another 6 weeks, when I got out of hospital, couldn't stand the taste of beer for a few months.
Had to drink sweet stuff like Beam & coke.
I put it down to the morphine in the system, but could be wrong :blink:

Normell

It's a sorry tale SJW, but (fortunately?) it's not all that uncommon. I was out of action with a busted elbow last year, and although only on morphine/other painkillers about a month, didn't want beer for about 3 or 4 months. Just didn't enjoy the malt more than anything. Like Normell - something sweet was all I could handle, but even Mackesons was too beery. I drank a lot of fruit juice :eek:

I had 3 surgeries, so 3 generals, but the last one I didn't even have morphine post-op, and was back on beer a week or two later, so my money is on the morphine over the general.

On the upside, at least you've got reserves once you start enjoying beery goodness once again. I couldn't lift more than 5 kg for 9 months, so there was no brewing... and not having planned to do the elbow, I hadn't stocked up :(

Hang in there - all the best with the recuperation (hope you've got a 1 tier brewery...)

Sorry to hear, Stephen
I hope that ya come good soon, but look on the bright side, you will have mountains of well matured beer by the time you are ready for them again. Sounds like ya may need to lower yaself to Beam and coke (drink it with lemonade, its tastes heaps better) until your tastebuds come out of their coma!
All the best
Trent

Hope you get over it soon, but if not I am just down the road and am willing to put myself on the line and help you drink the beers ;)

Steve
Hope your back on deck soon, but if you have to share - back of the que macr.

MHB

Thanks boys.
Its been 8 weeks now and things are looking up. Just need to visit the old man and recover some "drug induced, discarded stock".

5 weeks ago I had a shoulder reconstruction :( and ever since I can't stomach any beer. I want a beer, I would love a couple. I dont know what the doc did in there but I have opened about 10 king browns now and had to tip em all out. :blink: I even brewed some extra brews prior to surgery to build up supplies but I have had to give a lot away. I have in stock a Oktoberfest, Irish Red, Czech Pils, still got some of Doc's Imperial Vanilla Bourbon Porter and another couple that have slipped my memory.
Has anyone else suffered this type of post surgery trauma? Its so bad I even bought a case of Coopers to try and get me back on track.
Its a sad tale, I know, especially when I have a tonne of AG equip. Lets hope things improve! :angry:

Stephen

What a bugger SJW, hope you come good soon!

Had some more minor surgery yesterday, cut another chunk of skin out (sun cancers from being young and stupid in Queensland summers). Cant raise my arm is the only problem, good thing I'm AMBER DEXTRINOUS :D
Cheers

Latest posts

Back