Post Removal & Servicing Cornie Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
Quick background update:
I just changed my one celli tap over to my other keg.
First keg - allowed gas back into the line between out post and back of tap.
Second keg - no movement of gas into the line.

Hence my theory is outpost in first keg needs servicing... (first keg pours half head, half flat beer - and its only been carbed at 70kPa, at around 4 degrees, been on gas at 70kPa for over a week).

Done a few searches on AHB and Google, have only found this so far:
[post="0"]linky[/post]

I have the Keg Seal Kit (From Ross @ Craftbrewer) that came with my kegs. In hindsight I probably should have replaced all my keg posts straight away (Live and learn - feel free to heckle!). The Keg Seal Kit:

seal-kit-keg.jpg

Questions (or hopefully just confirmation if I am on the right track...):

1. Can I simply cut the old red rubber off this post and then slip the new one into the recess on the post? (then of course replace the smaller O ring also within the post).
DSCN3195.JPG

2. Having a devil of a time getting this post off -any hints (assuming I am in the need of a decent ring spanner or long socket with a bit of leverage?).
DSCN3198.JPG

I would appreciate any input on this!

Cheers.

bought a complete socket set from Bunnings for 10 bucks, worked fine. everything I read on here was different, different kegs/different sizes

1. Can I simply cut the old red rubber off this post and then slip the new one into the recess on the post? (then of course replace the smaller O ring also within the post).

Haven't done it myself but I can't see why not

2. Having a devil of a time getting this post off -any hints (assuming I am in the need of a decent ring spanner or long socket with a bit of leverage?).
View attachment 23903

I generally use a 12 inch shifter - not as easy as a ring spanner but works OK

Don't forget to lube the seals after you replace them

Cheers.

Raven It seems you have the same sized fittings as me. I use a 7/8" wrench I got from Repco. Can get them from most hardware shops. You will need to wack it anticlockwise to get it moving. Just cut the o ring off the post and replace and replace the rubber gaskets from the gas inlet and the beer outlet stem. I also use a bit of food grade lube. I did this as soon as I received the keg's (im not heckling ;)

It appears 'most' of my posts on my kegs are 22 or 25mm in diameter - 7/8 inch or 1 inch I presume.

Thanks for the hints on this, off to Church (big green warehouse) on the weekend it seems!

Can anyone advise on where I can purchase food grade lubricant?

(For kegs of course!!! :p )

I have found that some of the posts were difficult to get off and most of the time they were the out post. Managed to pick up a set of imperial wratchet type ring spanners. Luckily got a set as I encountered two sizes. For the difficult ones I had to tap a rubber mallet against the other end of the spanner to get it loose.

You can either cut the o-ring off or just pry it out with a small pocket knife.

With the poppet out just give it a squeeze or two to prove that it can move under pressure.

Not sure about the lubricant as I didn't use any on my kegs.

Thanks for the input all (I should have checked the sponsors page first! Duh!) :p

Another order to Ross here we come!

7/8" and 11/16" ring spanners are what you need to get the posts off, depending on which sort you have. Most imperial spanner sets I found had one, or the other, but not both sizes. Ended up picking up one of each size from the random spanner box at a car parts store for $2 each.

Ok, got these off no worries with the right tools!
DSCN3199.JPG
Cornie Keg Spears with new O rings

DSCN3200.JPG
Top of Cornie with spear and posts removed

On one of my kegs I also found that my release valve needed to pushed down firmly otherwise it would leak CO2 for a while.

I love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for the help on this one all!

Digging up an old post - but was wondering does anyone do any special cleaning on the Corney keg pickup tubes.

I've pulled them all out of my kegs at the moment - and was wondering if I should clean the pickup tubes like the inside of a gun barrel. I pressure cook all the o-rings and valves, but to date haven't really done anything to inside of the spears other than lots of rinsing...

Digging up an old post - but was wondering does anyone do any special cleaning on the Corney keg pickup tubes.

I've pulled them all out of my kegs at the moment - and was wondering if I should clean the pickup tubes like the inside of a gun barrel. I pressure cook all the o-rings and valves, but to date haven't really done anything to inside of the spears other than lots of rinsing...

I just push napisan through the beer out diptube using gas. That cleans it nicely.

The gas one you can pull out and soak so no dramas there.

Bit of topic; but anyone who is after spanners I picked up a 'made in india' 22mm spanner from Bunnings for $1.19. They were in a wooden box with heaps of mixed sizes. Works a treat on my kegs; both the gas in and beer out.

QldKev

Bit of topic; but anyone who is after spanners I picked up a 'made in india' 22mm spanner from Bunnings for $1.19. They were in a wooden box with heaps of mixed sizes. Works a treat on my kegs; both the gas in and beer out.

QldKev

Bumping old thread....

Just bought a Multifit Tap Spanner Set from Bunnings. ~$10. Includes 20,21,22,23,24,25 +29mm sockets. Works a treat on all keg posts... and taps at that matter.

Back