Porter Hop Suggestion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't think Amarillo would be a good idea if it was to be coupled with Bourbon & Oak.
Actually, even without the 'extra flavourings' I would really struggle to throw Amarillo in a Porter.

I would think Northdown, Northern Brewer, Willamette or Fuggle would go well with Bourbon & Oak.

Rgds,
Peter

Chiller, I prefer to brew similar to style not strict to style - so if its not historically accurate I'm not too fussed :)

Some excellent looking recipes in there Stuster - brilliant resource, thank you!

I have no objections to that approach -- just don't bastardise an historical beer style by calling it a "such and such" when it is not a "such and such" but in fact is a "beer I made"

I'm very much a "beer I made" person but from time to time I endeavour to brew as close to style [ and not just the @#$!! BJCP] guidelines as I can.

My objection is the dilution of accepted original styles with hops and changes that [1] were not available and [2] alter the true pedigree of the beer.

I do not say that the interpretation is better or worse -- just not a "such and such" beer. It is and always will be
"beer I made"

And lets not start on the IPA -- the India refers to the country not the native inhabitants of a land mass on the other side of the planet.

I never made the claim I was trying to be historically accurate right from the word go I made it clear I was 'basterdising' the style.

To be accurate anyone using anything other than 100% brown malt technically isn't brewing a 'porter'. I can understand your frustration and probably passion.. but I just go with the flow and if hundreds of commercial breweries can bastardise a style then by George I'm going to also :D

Back