Por Alpha Loss Over 12 Months

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hey Hey,

Just reading a little on Hop AA loss over time, was going to make a CPA Clone tomorrow and will be using some PoR hops from a 500g bag I bought this time last year and have used about half so far.

Hops have been in a re-sealable bag with the air (most) taken out and stored in the freezer.

My question is, should I adjust hop amount to compensate for the loss of AA?

Cheers

Hey Hey,

Just reading a little on Hop AA loss over time, was going to make a CPA Clone tomorrow and will be using some PoR hops from a 500g bag I bought this time last year and have used about half so far.

Hops have been in a re-sealable bag with the air (most) taken out and stored in the freezer.

My question is, should I adjust hop amount to compensate for the loss of AA?

Cheers

Anyone?

Hey,

I don't think I would bother - you have no way of knowing how much the alpha has dropped over that time. I reckon roll with it..... I would be more worried about "cheesey" character potentially, given they have been in a bag with oxygen for a year. But you have stored them in a freezer, so you might be OK as that would have slowed things down. I would probably buy new hops. (unless you have used some very recently and the beer was OK)

Cheers,

Alex

Are they pellets or flowers? When was the last time that you used them?

I got some por from my lhbs a few months ago and i could tell that they hadn't been looked after, they were all dry, didn't smell like anything and there was heaps of stems in it. The bag was open sitting in the fridge to. BUt i was desperate so i got my 30g and used it in the cpa clone. Funnily enough it tasted fine, didn't have that faint aroma that POR usually has so the beer wasn't as complex (not that cpa is by any means a complex beer), but i still drank that batch and was content with it.
If it was me i'd use them and find out. Might not turn out to be the best beer but a cpa clone is probably the cheapest brew you could test it on...

Back