Popped My Ag Cherry Today :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
After along time slowly gathering equipment i finally did my 1st AG today. Everything went pretty well except for a stuck 1st runnings >_< doh. I blame it on my mash tun which i will modify before my 2nd AG. The pickup is right against the bottom as to reduce dead space in the mashtun (it has virtually none). I think it was too close and some grains clogged it up. I ended up getting some flow by moving the false bottom round a bit with mah paddle. The mash was good besides that and i hit exactly 66.5*C and dropped to 66 by the end. I added mashout water but it only raised the temp to 71 :/. Then the runnings got stuck >_<. Besides that the day was really smooth and surprisingly easy. Plenty of time to clean up while waiting for stuff to boil etc.

This was the brew.

Recipe: DrSmurto's Golden Ale
Brewer: Clinton Allison
Asst Brewer:
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 25.67 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.40 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 56.47 %
0.80 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 18.82 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.82 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 22.0 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-SteeHops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Fermentis Safale #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.25 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.08 L of water at 73.9 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 6.21 L of water at 97.3 C 76.0 C

Here are some pics

2010_01_13_001.JPG
2010_01_13_002.JPG
2010_01_13_004.JPG
2010_01_13_005.JPG
2010_01_13_007.JPG
2010_01_13_010.JPG
2010_01_13_013.JPG
2010_01_13_014.JPG
2010_01_13_015.JPG
2010_01_13_017.JPG
2010_01_13_018.JPG
2010_01_13_019.JPG

Awesome!
For a first time effort, your setup is the ducks nuts, mate ;) . Many of us had to do our 1st AG on the stove top in 2 pots, with a representative from The War Office looking over our shoulders, tutting and groaning in disapproval.
Great work. Make sure you update with tasting notes.

Awesome!
For a first time effort, your setup is the ducks nuts, mate ;) . Many of us had to do our 1st AG on the stove top in 2 pots, with a representative from The War Office looking over our shoulders, tutting and groaning in disapproval.
Great work. Make sure you update with tasting notes.
Great effort bloke...nice pics too...
i've just tapped by second batch of Doc's...although i will say i have done his mod recipe both times...and both times its come out amber....
One thing...when you do cube...i got told you should try and squeeeze all the air out before you cap it...like get a towel ( safety measure ) and but it between your knee and your cube with your cube up against the wall and slowly squeeze untill the hot wort is at the neck of the cube...then holding pressure with your knee....cap...
This pushes out all the air and reduces the chances of bad shit happening...otherwise...looks lovely bloke and well done !!

Woot! Well done Clintmo! This brewing business is a piece of piss huh? :icon_chickcheers:

Brewery looks great BTW.

3 words of advice on your set up. Lose the photo of the C00pers donated keg, get yourself to crafties and buy some silicon hoses vinyl just aren't rated to those temps you need to be at for brewing and don't dump your grains on the grass as they will stink up the place, kill the lawn and if you have pets it can make them sick. BTW if you need some hole cut in those kegs for taps PM I'm happy to help out.

Cheers

Chap Chap

cool good advice i was a tad lazy with photoshopping, silicon hose gotchya, maybe i will have to rake out that grain lol, and squeeze out the air out of the cube next batch :) Thanks for the feedback. @chappo what do you mean holes in the kegs? all 3 have taps.

cool good advice i was a tad lazy with photoshopping, silicon hose gotchya, maybe i will have to rake out that grain lol, and squeeze out the air out of the cube next batch :) Thanks for the feedback. @chappo what do you mean holes in the kegs? all 3 have taps.

So you do! I'm old and losing my mind... don't mind me! :)

Chap Chap

Congrats! That false bottom looks fine to me. Did you crack your own grain or did it come cracked? Hope it tastes geat for your first.

Cheers
Steve

I think you might be the first Cherry for the year Clintmo?

Anyway well done! You will have to join BABBS now.

It'll be the best you have done to date.

Chap Chap

Good on you Clintmo, well done and welcome to the dark side.

Screwy

Congrats! That false bottom looks fine to me. Did you crack your own grain or did it come cracked? Hope it tastes geat for your first.

Cheers
Steve

Grain came cracked from craftbrewer, which i assume is of good quality, so i put it down to the false bottom pickup tube :)

Good work Clint - I started AG around your age in the UK and I remember how bloody annoying a stuck mash can be, it was a bit like roulette but some tweaking and you should be right. Grain from CraftBrewer is five star quality :)

Great work! God i wish i had a setup like that for my first AG brew. I had a bucket with a heap of holes drilled in the bottom!

cheers

Congrats on your first AG! Welcome to the dark side :D

The good Doctor has broken a few brewers in with the Golden Ale now!!! :lol:

Great stuff ClintMo,

Love your setup for a first AG. Awesome.

There's no stopping you now.

Welcome to the obsession.....I mean hobby.

PB

I will say one thing from someone who has been badly burnt while no chilling. Put on some boots would ya!

Just imagin all that stinking hot sticky liquid running between your toes and under your feet, removing the skin as it goes!

Trust me! It hurts

Back