Poor Starch Conversion & Effects On Attenuation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silo Ted

Suspended in an Aspic Consomm
Reaction score
Always something challenging to his hobby.

For tthe first time ever I have a stuck fermentation. It's at 1030, when my estimation was to be 1.017 (assuming 75%AA). As it stands today, attenuation calculated out at about 55%

There is a back-story. The SHITHOUSE scientific company that I scored several glass thermometers from are responsible for this. (PS Wiltronics I hate very product you have ever supplied to me, cheap ******* shit). Anyway..... works out that for this beer I would have been mashing at around 52 degrees.

I can only assume the '60's' enzymes weren't triggered to start converting the starches at this important rest point (I was only doing single).

From memory my extraction efficiency was something stupid like 60%, on a system where I always hit 79%. Had to jack it up considerably with DME (thankfully I had just purchased some far the brewery pantry to ue for starters, test brews etc)

So what the hell do I do ith this beer ? Its probably the most expensive brew I have ever done (a mighty 2IPA Celebration clone). This was fermenting for two weeks at my desired temperature, racked off to a secondary (clearly the agitation did **** all), dry hopped and left at room temp of perhaps mid 20's for a further 10 days. I am reluctant to throw more yeast at this millionaire ale after spending $40 on hops alone (I had to get them at retail price, **** that for a joke), along with lot of DME and around 7kg of grain, and a vial of California Ale yeast.

Based on the stupidly low mash temp of 52 degrees( **** you Wiltronics) and my thought that starch conversion enzyme rest was clearly going to be so poor Im thinking that this is as low as its going to get. With 250grams of hops, being a bit sweeter wont matter, but being that I bottle my brews, ...... well you can see how Im looking at the drain hole right about now.

To do or not to do...that is the question?

Bloody Wiltronics!

Send them your bill, including your hourly rate and a picture of a stand over man....

Even better, send them one of your bottles, and they can see for themslves how precise their piece of glassware really is...with any luck it will explode on que!

Can't help you with your problem, but I've had business dealings with Wiltronics, and have worked with someone who used to work there. I could tell you some stories, but I won't because I'm a professional.

It's supposed to be a hobby, dealing with Wiltronics wil turn it into patience testing, hard bloody work in short order.

Thanks Matho...you got me thinking.
I used to deal with these guys years ago when i was in the food Industry.
I'm not sure if they sell direct to public but they would have had the enzyme to solve the prob prior to ferment.

enzyme solutions

Hope the link works

The big question is, ARE there any fermentables left in my beer for an brew-designed enzyme to work?

The big question is, ARE there any fermentables left in my beer for an brew-designed enzyme to work?

I'd say its too late for all that hard work.
Personally, id bottle and see what happens....you may have invented something.

An epic light beer! (WTF!)

I'd say its too late for all that hard work.
Personally, id bottle and see what happens....you may have invented something.

An epic light beer! (WTF!)

Not really - the ABV right now would be just under 5%. the SG was high

Out of sheer noobiness.... Raise temps to 22-24ish as if doing a diacetyl rest and see if it drops further.

Wine yeast?! <I'm reaching for my nut guard, don't shoot yet>

Consider just throwing in some Dex and raising it up to barley wine territory?

chuck in some lambic/roeselare blend, that should get it down.

Out of sheer noobiness.... Raise temps to 22-24ish as if doing a diacetyl rest and see if it drops further.

Wine yeast?! <I'm reaching for my nut guard, don't shoot yet>

Um, most helpful :rolleyes:

Practical fool is right...
You could try throwing some champagne yeast at it....
You could also draw off a sample and try force fermenting it , to see if it is going to drop any further....
Good luck
Ferg

Sorry but im pretty sure thats not the right answer. Does this work on unconverted starches? This isnt a a simple stalled fermet, its a result of a poor beta amalyse reaction. Do you have a supporting statement as to how you believe wine yeast would help, ferg? Please explain the composition of my wort, and what type of sugars are present? Im not entirely discounting it, but this requires a response on scientific basis, not simply a 'chuck a high gravity yeat at it'

Silo, I'd say combine what ferg said above with the wine/champagne yeast comment.

Draw off a sample and ferment that in a stubby with a small pinch of wine yeast. Glad wrap n all. If it works.... Doesn't hurt trying (hopefully ;))

PS: also, try an iodine test on a bit of that beer?! Can't rem if the alc will give a false result but might be an option.

Another outta the idea factory: do a small mash of high diastatic malt and add that wort to the beer without mashing out.

^ any of these better than the sinkhole?

I suspect that some people arent comprehending the details in the opening statement regarding conversion chemistry

So basically you want to know if you can convert the current un-converted starches in a partially fermented wort?

but this requires a response on scientific basis
Science based on "THOSE C@#NTS SOLD ME A SHIT THERMOMETER I THINK IT WAS 52c!!!"? Good luck with that.

Felton's answer will bring it down lower but, you know, prob not worth it.

chuck in some lambic/roeselare blend, that should get it down.

maybe just a straight brett would be better. its my understanding that pedio and lacto have a very low ibu threshold before they just stop working.will brett even eat starch? i have looked every were for an answer on that myself with no definitive answer but most likely a no. in this case i think using an enzyme might be the best answer for a save.

Pour it on the back yard.

When I dough in at 52C the whole mash stays cloudy. It's below the gel temp of barleyz. Pretty obvious.

Latest posts

Back