Pommy Beers Of The 60s And 70s - Backgrounder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
May be of interest to older Pom migrant brewers who remember the old days, or anyone curious about current UK beer styles

linky

I remember

Watneys Red
Courages Directors

Stingo barley wine
Whitbread

It all tasted like crap

I loved Worthington White lable and Bass red label

Only that has little to do with today's UK beer styles :)

It does provide some context about the changes that occured in the 70's, but is still very vague.

Also has some statements that I would consider to be quite incorrect such as "Mild has continued to decline in popularity and there are few available now." Might have been true 10 years ago, but not today.

Mild has seen a resurgence in the past few years due to the Mild Month (May) - with new beers being released and old beers re-released for the month. Sure, comparatively it is an extremely small percentage of beer sales, but hasn't continued to decline.

Im only here for the beer its Double Diamond

Grew up on the stuff, surprised I've still got taste buds.

Still a pint was cheap back then and lager was 'girls beer.'

Tell that to the lager louts

skinheads.jpg

I wasn't referring to the resurgence of micros etc, more to do with how the offerings of the mega breweries in the UK came to be what they are. However glad to see about the mild, for one. I used to love Brains Dark in Cardiff. Hm I can feel a trip coming on B)

Tell that to the lager louts

View attachment 34115

I wasn't referring to the resurgence of micros etc, more to do with how the offerings of the mega breweries in the UK came to be what they are. However glad to see about the mild, for one. I used to love Brains Dark in Cardiff. Hm I can feel a trip coming on B)

Ahh, skinheads, don't you miss them? No me neither.

It's amazing turn around for mild, in my day it was what your old man drank.

Though being a hertfordshire boy we never lost it completely as Mcmullen's have kept brewing AK - even though nowadays it's not called a mild. Funnily enough I drink it now when I head back, when I was younger I never touched the stuff

Brains dark is an awesome beer, making me thirsty!

Im only here for the beer its Double Diamond

Grew up on the stuff, surprised I've still got taste buds.

Still a pint was cheap back then and lager was 'girls beer.'

that had to be the best bottled beer cant remember it on draught

I have a lot to thank the big breweries for.
Its because of the shite beer that they sold in the 70's that sent me on a path to find something better, luckily a lot of other people felt the same way and now we see a resurgance of traditional ales that are probably more popular than the rest of the swill.

Watney's Red was one of the first keg bitters. It's rumoured that CAMRA was formed in protest to pretty much this one beer!

Ahh, skinheads, don't you miss them? No me neither.

Depends if you're talking about nazi skins, that usually wore BLACK flying jackets (which I dont miss) or regular skins that were only interested in music, clothes, scooters and 'aving a laugh. The boys in your pic Bribie look like a lot of my old friends...and yes I do miss them. Lager louts are more normally associated with the "Casual" subculture i.e. football fans that get pissed before during and after a game and the become a "lout" whilst kicking the heads in of the opposing teams fans.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back