Polyclar - Dubbel Still Hazy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I bottled a belgian last night, and had treated it with 9 grams of ployclar in 19 litres, it had been in the fridge after treatment for four days before I got to bottle it. The beer was chilled to about 3 degrees prior to adding the polyclar. The polyclar had been on a stir plate for 45 minutes in warm water prior to being added. The belgian had been mashed with a 15 minute protein rest at 55c,

It was not terribly hazy, just was not as clear as I have seen some others treated with polyclar.

What's gone wrong here?

maybe it isn't chill haze? Does it clear up when the beer is warmer? Or maybe the polyclar wasn't well enough spread throughout the beer and settled to the bottom before it could do its job?

sorry, just guessing.

TB

Does it clear up when the beer is warmer? Or maybe the polyclar wasn't well enough spread throughout the beer and settled to the bottom before it could do its job?

Yeah, its lovely when its warm, so your second point would be a good one. Though I have noticed that typically when you add a nice warm mix of ployclar to a chilled beer, the warmer fluid tends to float to the top and then slowly mix, but maybe it was not warm enough this time as it had been on the stir plate for 45 minutes.

I am really bummed by this, it was a nice dubbel and I bottled it in champagne bottles for a good presentation :'(

I have your solution for you - actually it is the simplest possible one.

The beer is a dubbel right... well, that is a beer that should be being served at cool cellar temperatures, where it will be too warm for chill haze to be present. Serve your beer at say 10-12C where it should be served, and it will be clear and beautiful.

No problem to fix

TB

Back