Polished brass pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Found it!

I'll have to save up for this little sweetie but I've posted about it a few times already in the various beer engine and polypin threads, and have been trying in vain to find out if they are still made.

Recap: in the mid 1970s I toured Cornwall for the first time. One characteristic of the pubs at the time (apart from having a ceiling height of around 1.8 metres which was great for hobbits) was that many pubs near the wharves in the fishing towns such as Fowey or Tintagel didn't have cellars, being right on the waterfront, but had their casks of real ale on solid wooden cradles behind the bar but fairly near the floor, so not much room to hold a glass under the tap for serving without giving the barmaids OHS issues. So in the pubs where traditional handpumps or gravity serve wasn't practical they had these lovely decorative pumps actually going down through the spile hole and would pull a pint as competently as a traditional beer engine.

I distinctly remember asking what pump they were and I seem to remember "stirrup pump", and haven't been able to find them.

Yesterday I was in a drs waiting room and picked up a catalogue for the Whitworths marine store and browsed to see if there was anything brewing related, I don't boat as I get seasick even thinking about it so had never heard of Withworths ... and there the little bugger was.

Galley pump. Cornwall = Marine. How could I have overlooked that connection. Bet they've been using these for centuries.

Anyway Galley pump + Polypin ....... yessssss.

Not to mention woot.

Yes as in my link :)

galley pump.jpg

DERP :unsure:
this computer i'm using at the moment hyperlinks every 5th word to some spam/spyware site, so i just assumed the link was that

Should have posted just the pic.

I can picture one of these mounted on a nice polished wood plate, Probably room for a nice pump-clip arrangement on the front as well and the dip tube could go down the "shaft hole" in the top of my Craftbrewer kegmate down into a polypin or collapsible 20L water container from BCF.held at 12 degrees when I'm not using it for fermentation. In fact ferment in the kegmate, transfer to polypin for CC, attach dip tube and start pulling.

Feeling like a pull thinking about it. :)

Edit, more like a tall wooden "plinth" to allow height for glass. But tastefully carved, stained and varnished of course.

it does sound tempting
but after spending $100 (including shipping) on 8 bottles of craft beers a few weeks ago, and $100 on supplies from MHB last night, i don't think that'd fly with the mrs
guess i'll stick with one of the cheaper galley pumps for now

Have you had any experience with drawing from a polypin that is lower than the pump?
I tried this and found that I was getting too much CO2 coming out of solution and gassing up the transfer hose. This was from beer that was put into the bag from the fermenter and was not force carbed or primed. Even with the bag tap at the lowest point of the bag it still accumulated gas in the beer line and only seemed to be remedied by lifting the bag to about the height of the hand pump.
The bag was one of those 20L BCF jobbies and the thick walled 1/2" silicone hose I have was a perfect fit over the tap and the hand pull hose tail.
Maybe it was more about what I did not do; what that may be, I do not know.

Malted said:
Have you had any experience with drawing from a polypin that is lower than the pump?
I tried this and found that I was getting too much CO2 coming out of solution and gassing up the transfer hose. This was from beer that was put into the bag from the fermenter and was not force carbed or primed. Even with the bag tap at the lowest point of the bag it still accumulated gas in the beer line and only seemed to be remedied by lifting the bag to about the height of the hand pump.
The bag was one of those 20L BCF jobbies and the thick walled 1/2" silicone hose I have was a perfect fit over the tap and the hand pull hose tail.
Did you clamp the silicon hose, could be air getting in perhaps?

Somewhat off-topic but I have picked up a few things from Whitworths for my brew rig. Stainless skin fittings for pump inlets and outlets, stainless grill for top filter plate, hatch latches to hold filter plate to malt pipe, etc, etc.

I would recommend everyone get the catalogue and read through it. You have to sign up to the site to get the catalogue. Heaps of cool stainless stuff and my brain jumps around with various projects. I probably would have seen that tap but it would have been before my reading on beer engines and hand pumps. Am tempted to build one in a couple of years. Have to get my bar and multi-tap kegerator build done first......

Malted said:
I always have my bag on the floor in a cool-bag. If the bag hasnt been gassed or primed, it sounds like you've got a leak somewhere and air is getting into the line, probably from the tap/cap or where the line connects, so try clamping the hose first.

Can you actually see bubbles in the hose?
Does the pump pull smoothly and easily?

Back