Plumbing Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charst

Reaction score
Calling all plumbers.

We just about to pour concrete on a new shed with a dedicated brewing area, im getting hot and cold water connected to two spots in the shed and noticed the plumbers used a black plastic pipe with blue lines on it as the water pipes for both hot and cold. I told him it was for a brewery but never insisted it had to be food grade, i didn't think of it at the time.

Couple pics attached to the post of the tubing and of the number on the tube. I cant read it all but what I can see is
Dn20 pn 12.5 sdr 13.6 pe100 120327 21.43

gibberish to me.

anyone know if this kind of tubing is food grade or am i going to have plastic problems?

Could i add a water filteration to the brewery to resolve the problem rather then get the plumber to redo the plumbing?

cheers.

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

That's just HDPE, it's food grade. Should be fine.

Google HDPE and check it out for yourself if in doubt.

I'm jealous of your new shed/brewery!

Thanks I know some fermenters are HDPE so thats a relief.

Been a few years in the making mate, Ive done my time buggerising around im very keen to get a dedicated area.

forgive my caution i assume your a plumber?
just wanna be sure as concretes pouring tuesday.

Also get the pipes lagged, pvc and poly if it's coming through the slab. It protects it through the expansion of the slab and any movement the pipes might endure.

Yeah that's absolutely fine. It loses strength above 50°C. I'm not sure what the mains pressure is, but I'm pretty sure the PN 12.5 is that it's rated to 12.5bar. With some derate for temperature up to 60°C it should still be fine for mains pressure, unless you have 10bar mains... Most are 2-5bar.

This is the only product other than copper that Sydney Water approve for main to meter connections which s good thing. They currently do not approve other plasticized pipe materials.

Adr_0 said:
Yeah that's absolutely fine. It loses strength above 50°C. I'm not sure what the mains pressure is, but I'm pretty sure the PN 12.5 is that it's rated to 12.5bar. With some derate for temperature up to 60°C it should still be fine for mains pressure, unless you have 10bar mains... Most are 2-5bar.
HDPE pipe manufactures approve HPDE for use up to 80 degrees I believe. It is likely that your hot water system will only produce water 65-70 degrees.

Latest posts

Back