Please help, looking for new recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey again guys! I just bought 5kg Best Malz pilsner malt, some 34/70 yeast and went for traditional EU Hallertau hops. I'm wondering, is it generally ok to use a little percentage of Barrett Burston ale malt within a pilsner recipe along with sucrose to dry it out more like a commercial style lager, and what percentages are we talking? Mashing at 64?

I ask because it's very expensive to ship malt to where I live (even moreso that the actual cost of the malt itself, so pretty much $1 malt plus $1 freight for eg, so it costs me twice as much to brew as most others) so if I can get away with using 50/50 BB and pilsner malt I'll get 2x batches out of this shipment cause already have BB

Thanks!

Not sure were you live but have a talk to @brewman . He does a fine job shipping my grains etc from NSW to tassie

Thanks Gloveski,

Just to correct the important stuff, I am Brewman_

So that link goes to the wrong guy

We send a lot of deliveries to out of the way places. Tassie, Rural Vic, Rural NSW, NT, FNQ Some to WA. Oh and SA.

Brewman sends 20Kg anywhere in Australia mainland for $30, at current courier rates. Now that is the highest rate, depending on location may be less.

Cheers Steve

Hey all, I've veen stuck in a rut making the same old pale beers over and over again with small variances but am looking to try some different styles.

I brew all grain and have lots of US style hops on hand, a few US ale type yeasts, some crystal malt and lots of pale malt. I certainly don't mind buying some lager yeasts and new hops and maybe trying my hand at some pilsners ir something? I have temp control. I wouldn't mind doing an English IPA either!

I don't mind the standard CUB stuff, I know it gets a bad wrap but lets face it they're not easy to replicate accurately. I like European lagers and pilsners but haven't had very good luck accurately making these in the past either. I did like them but mine weren't as dry or crisp as the commercial versions so not sure how they do that

What do you recommend?
There is a comprehensive list of recipes on Brewbuilder. They are proven recipes that cover most styles and a great starting point.
You are most welcome to use the recipe database.

Cheers Steve

Have you tried making a wheat beer with US-05 or maybe a lager with american hops and a lager yeast . Have you tried mashing at 64 to make a drier beer ? There are heaps of recipes on line . Check out some of the american beer blog sites .Check out brew your own magazine online there is plenty of recipes and also beer tools heaps of recipes again .

Thanks Gloveski,

Just to correct the important stuff, I am Brewman_

So that link goes to the wrong guy

We send a lot of deliveries to out of the way places. Tassie, Rural Vic, Rural NSW, NT, FNQ Some to WA. Oh and SA.

Brewman sends 20Kg anywhere in Australia mainland for $30, at current courier rates. Now that is the highest rate, depending on location may be less.

Cheers Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve, i'll certainly be in touch shortly. Do you have a direct email or website? Whatever works for you is fine with me

Cheers!

Edit, found it!

There is a comprehensive list of recipes on Brewbuilder. They are proven recipes that cover most styles and a great starting point.
You are most welcome to use the recipe database.

Cheers Steve

Well there you go never noticed the _ after your name , time for glasses lol

Why don't you head over to shut up about Barclay Perkins and have a go at a 19th century porter or other old school 19th C and early 20th C English beers.

Latest posts

Back