Please Help guys ....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micko71

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but I'm just trying to give you all the info I have, so the brains trust can help me whether to tip this out or let it sit , or put it in the fuel tank of my car !

Hey everyone, just hoping someone can help me out with a brew I just did.

so I have a stainless steel conical fermenter , I did my first brew , it was unreal the best brew I've ever done. I'm guessing because I was able to remove the sludge at the bottom and secondary ferment. It was so clean and crispy it was beautiful. it was a pilsner.

so anyway I did my next brew and I had a really good look inside the fermenter this time with an inspection camera and noticed the top weld was not cleaned up 100% so I got in there and scrubbed it and did what I could and star sand it to the bejesus. I figured it may be ok if I don't put too much liquid in so it doesn't touch the top , so I made my usual brew, a double brew with kits, liquid malt and dextrose. as I'm brewing under pressure in this new fermenter, I figured I could throw the hops in straight away because they won't be escaping like your normal bubbly so I grabbed my two bags of hops out of the fridge through half of one in, Galaxy I think, threw half of another one in, cascade, as I threw the Cascade in I remembered it was about a year and a half old and I thought I s*** so I smelled the package and it smelled like nothing there was no hop Aroma at all.

so anyway it was already in so too late to do anything about it, so i let it ferment , pulled the sludge out halfway, let it secondary ferment, transferred it to a 50 l keg it was a bit over so I put the rest into a 23 l keg and I thought you beauty !

so I open the fermenter to give it a clean and there were black lines from the top all the way to the bottom, so I'm guessing there was black mould or something covering the entire top and as it went down it just stuck to the walls of the fermenter all the way down like the ring in your beer glass as you drink a beer.

so I chilled the 50 litre keg straight away and Gassed it overnight at 40 psi as I usually do.

it poured fine but tasted bloody shithouse , I thought oh no it's infected I've never had one like this before so I thought well, since the end of it went into the 23 litre keg which I tipped out, maybe the main amount of brew in the 50 litre keg will be ok, so I let it sit for two months and I've just put it in the fridge and cracked a bit to have a taste and it tastes like Steel, and gave me a bit of a hot flush with two mouthfuls. maybe it's just very strong alcohol percentage. it's crap, it sort of tastes like I had the lid open and I was grinding some steel next to it and all my steel filings landed in the beer.

So my question is: does anybody have any clue on what may have happened and do I have some LSD in my keg haha cheers

Mick.

Thanks mate. Makes sense. I'll see what I can do. Cheers.

Yep. I can get my hand in.

I took it to my mate who runs a staino welding shop and he used the tig brush and cleaned it up with that. he was out of pickling paste. apparently the hydrofluoric acid has been banned or something as it eats your bones away from the inside haha heavy duty stuff !

Back