Plastic Gas Post

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhighley

Dyslexic beer dog
Reaction score
Purchased a corny keg and discovered that the little gas-in post that is normally stainless is made of plastic.

On initial inspection, it smells (and tastes) like soda syrup. Should I be worried about this?

I dont think it would be an issue as long as it holds pressure.

Give it a good clean then check if it holds pressure.

Purchased a corny keg and discovered that the little gas-in post that is normally stainless is made of plastic.
On initial inspection, it smells (and tastes) like soda syrup. Should I be worried about this?

One i got from my case of 4 from Ross was like this... initially i was :eek: ... now i dont even know which keg has it in it!. i decent soak in nappisan did the trick for me!

Ive got a couple of them and after they have been cleaned i have not had a problem with them.

Same here, had one or two like that - horrible brown Pepsi colour and smell. I soaked it in bleach solution overnight and while it's still brown, it doesn't smell anymore. Never had a problem with it.

Ok, good enough for me.

I guess the main issue I had was that I was expecting all-stainless, so when I received plastic I felt a tiny bit disappointed.

Stainless has always got to be better than plastic, right?

For my money yes - plastic has a bad habbit of not letting go of organic compounds. That said, the other guys seem to be fine with this. Do we know what sort of plastic they're using?

The only other concern for me would be the lifetime of the thread (assuming it's a threaded turret). In general when you're machining threads the male and female components should be the same material of or similar hardness, otherwise the softer material will wear with use (sometimes very quickly). For a pressure vessel this is a concern...

I would porobably ask for a stainless turret to be sent out if you were not told it would have plastic turrets. FAiling that I'd run down to my LHBS and buy a stainless one once the thread dies...

Andy

I think he means the dip tube, not the actual post itself

Ah - that makes a hell of a lot more sense, and worries me less. For that I wouldn't bother doing anything but cleaning it. Again, worst case, it's a $5 cost to replace down the track.

My mistake, I mean the gas dip tube, rather than the post.

A plastic gas post would be interesting! :)

My mistake, I mean the gas dip tube, rather than the post.

A plastic gas post would be interesting! :)

...but not impossible. I was imagining a plastic turrent like those on the PET bottle chargers, just with a 1/2" male thread instead of the female PET thread.

Andy

Latest posts

Back