• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Plastic Conical Fermenters For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookout

Reaction score
There seemed to be some interest in the plastic conical fermenters that I have been experimenting with so I have had 2 more made if anyone else on AHB would like to experiment also. Please see my previous post for more information.

My Brew Day

They are for sale at $100ea + Transport

125_2565.JPG

Cheers, The Lookout

Got to love a brewer that decides one day that he wants to design and manufacture something really cool for brewing, just because he can B)

You could have a market if you got onto brewshops and on-line shops

Hey there.

These look very interesting - as i understand it all that's required to get it up and running is to tap a 3/4 thread it the bottom, drill a hole in the top for the grommet+airlock and build a little shelf for the ledge to sit on?

Is the side thick enough to tap a side port on to it?

How much do you reckon transport would be?

I like the look of those. There are some plastic crates that some of the Case Swapper's use to transport bottles in that would make a good stand. Just use a hack saw to customise. Very Nice.
Cheers
Gerard

Hey there.

These look very interesting - as i understand it all that's required to get it up and running is to tap a 3/4 thread it the bottom, drill a hole in the top for the grommet+airlock and build a little shelf for the ledge to sit on?

Is the side thick enough to tap a side port on to it?

How much do you reckon transport would be?

DJR

I have been working on a racking arm (Today as it happens) I think the side will be thick enough to tap but as yet haven't put the drill through one. If it isnt then a bulkhead fitting should work. I have done three brews in my yellow ones, for the first 2 the yeast floculated out well and had no issues using the bottom dump valve. The third was a Coopers kit (found it in the back of the cupboard and thought what the hell) it did not clear as well and in this case I felt that a side port or racking arm would be useful. I haven't cracked the racking arm design though and would be very interested in any ideas. This is another reason for selling these two, to get more people involved in their development.

On the transport front, I haven't got costs at this time and will need to get a quote when I know where their new home will be. I am in the Albury Wodonga area and another option would be for people to arange their own transport and I could drop them off at the depot. Had some approximate numbers to Melbourne at less than $30 but again this needs to be confirmed with the transport company.

To fit the dump valve I tapped the bottom to 3/4 BSP (same as the standard fermenter tap) and it has worked well even though I got the first one a little crooked. These two I had made a little thinner to reduce some of the distorsion out of the mold, It should still leave enough meat in the bottom, again a bulkhead fitting is another option.

On my first fermenter I have just drilled out where the breather was and installed a rubber stopper and airlock. This will work on these too. The only problem is cleaning through such a small hole, my plan for this is to drill some larger holes so that I can get inside with the preasure cleaner, but small enough to take a rubber bung. On the second fermenter I cut out the top which makes cleaning easier, but I haven't cracked the lid sealing yet. Again would be very interested in idears from others.

It should also be noted that these have not come off "production" tooling and so are not dimensionally perfect. But for those of you, who like me who are not woried about these things and want to experiment with conicals thay are perfect.

Regards

Lookout

Im very interested. what volume are they?

Im not the engineering type, but could a threaded hole be drilled in the bottom, and then a normal fermenter tap screwed into that?

Im very interested. what volume are they?

Im not the engineering type, but could a threaded hole be drilled in the bottom, and then a normal fermenter tap screwed into that?

Ash,

They are a little over 50l

Tapping a hole in the bottom (3/4" BSP) and fitting a standard fermenter tap is exactly what I did on by first one. I could drill and tap the bottom for you if you like.

125_2550.JPG

The Lookout

I will be home in an hour or 2, then i can measure up my fermenting fridge and see if it will fit (going off the measurements in 'my brew day' thread). are these correct?

I will be home in an hour or 2, then i can measure up my fermenting fridge and see if it will fit (going off the measurements in 'my brew day' thread). are these correct?

Allow 400mm for the diameter and 650mm hight for the vessel (+ Tap/stand and airlock). This batch, being a little thinner did not shrink as much.

Sorry mate but i tihnk i will leave it for now. i thought the lid was an actual lid, not seled so that makes things a bit more difficult

ill try think of a few ideas that might work for either sealing or cleaning and ill let you know.

ash

I need a freight cost too Qld.
Very keen for one of these

Batz

OK, thanks to lookout this little rippa will be in action today in my fridge.

I have just sat it on an old bucket fermenter and installed a dump tap in the base.
I will see how she goes with this brew (no chillout Skunkfart Ale 25L ) and then look at installing the second tap for the next batch. :D

OK, thanks to lookout this little rippa will be in action today in my fridge.

I have just sat it on an old bucket fermenter and installed a dump tap in the base.
I will see how she goes with this brew (no chillout Skunkfart Ale 25L ) and then look at installing the second tap for the next batch. :D

Day_one_of_camera_038.jpg

Somehow I missed this thread when it first happened - but these look awesome! How far down the road to production are you? I'm guessing the second one that was available is no more?

Thanks

Matt

Latest posts

Back