Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some shots of the pizzas I made last weekend -

Smoked salmon for the missus

IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg

And hot salami/peperoni for me

IMG_1432.jpg

I also made calzone and a bunch of pizzas for the kids but they scoffed them before I could get the camera out.

Cheers
Dave

I thought i was full after me dinner, but i could deffiently fit that in. Looks devine mmmmm :icon_drool2:

A simple one from the other night, tomatoe, olives, pepperoni and cheese. Was still pretty nice though :icon_cheers:

DSC_0169.JPG

A simple one from the other night, tomatoe, olives, pepperoni and cheese. Was still pretty nice though :icon_cheers:

very good looking pizza.... well done on not overloading with toppings!

Daughter's birthday party last night. She wanted me to make pizza. I spent last night making pizza for 9 7 year old girls -

The dough divided and in its final rising

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

The Pizzafication station. Everyone made their own.

IMG_1481.jpg

Some of the finished pizzas (actually these were mine... the girls were all very boring.. ham and pineapple)

IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg

I ended up making 16 mini pizzas (about 10cm across) for the girls and 4 larger ones for the rest of the family. I was cooking non stop from 5:30 till 8. The leftovers became these -

IMG_1489.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Nice one Dave. I'm making pizzas tonight.

Made my first dessert pizza tonight :D

Cooked with sliced banana sprinkled with brown sugar. Then served with a swirl of chocolate sauce and a thick custard ... nom nom nom :)

My pizza oven, what comes out of it, and the pull of the fire.

I'm a big fan of chicken, asparagus and brie. Awesome combo.

100_2323.JPG

100_2330.JPG

100_2332.JPG

Justin any chance of some pics of construction on the oven?

Its looks great i have not seen one with iron over in before and the door looks like it was from a second hand yard.

Kleiny

Anyone do bases like this guy http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Basically involves quite different to what I used to do (ie 1st post here). I think the bases he talks about kill any normal bases. It's all about Autolysing, wet kneading and cold rising. He's also very against kneading and rolling after it's risen. You just stretch it out with your hands. Best bases I've ever made by a looonng shot.

I'll have to get some photo's for this thread next time I do some up. It looks pretty much like the first few photos on his page, though I cant quite get the same char happening because of my low oven temp. If only I had a proper wood fired oven :\ My little pizza stone oven barely gets to 350C, it still takes 8-9min per pizza. I want 90sec pizzas!! :p

Anyone do bases like this guy http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Basically involves quite different to what I used to do (ie 1st post here). I think the bases he talks about kill any normal bases. It's all about Autolysing, wet kneading and cold rising. He's also very against kneading and rolling after it's risen. You just stretch it out with your hands. Best bases I've ever made by a looonng shot.

I'll have to get some photo's for this thread next time I do some up. It looks pretty much like the first few photos on his page, though I cant quite get the same char happening because of my low oven temp. If only I had a proper wood fired oven :\ My little pizza stone oven barely gets to 350C, it still takes 8-9min per pizza. I want 90sec pizzas!! :p

That guy is the rainman of pizzas.

his dough though is almost exactly my 2 day baguette dough with a cold rise in the fridge. Just replace my ferment with the same quantity of sourdough starter and instead of rising on the bench for a few hours, rise in the fridge overnight.

He says his hydration is around 65%. I don't believe him. If he'd only adding 75% of his flour and adding little bit till it looks right I would say his hydration is over 75%. Possibly pushing 80. It looks like my chibbata dough and that's close to 80.

Cheers
Dave

He says his hydration is around 65%. I don't believe him. If he'd only adding 75% of his flour and adding little bit till it looks right I would say his hydration is over 75%. Possibly pushing 80. It looks like my chibbata dough and that's close to 80.

Im giving his recipe a go this weekend and I think youre right about the hydration. I ended up with 85% (closer to 80% after kneading) to get a dough that looked like his. I have it fermenting in the fridge over night. Ill give it another go next week and let it ferment in the fridge for 3-5 days.

Also grabbed ingredients to make my first tomato sauce tomorrow, nothing flash but its a start.

... hopefully Ill have more pics tomorrow :D

Im giving his recipe a go this weekend and I think youre right about the hydration. I ended up with 85% (closer to 80% after kneading) to get a dough that looked like his. I have it fermenting in the fridge over night. Ill give it another go next week and let it ferment in the fridge for 3-5 days.

Also grabbed ingredients to make my first tomato sauce tomorrow, nothing flash but its a start.

... hopefully Ill have more pics tomorrow :D

I just worked it out. If you assume he is adding 75% of his flour then adds another 5% to "get it looking right" then he is spot on 80%.

If you just go with 75% of his flour and add no more you end up at 86%

I'd shoot for 80% straight up. You should be pretty right with that.

Cheers
Dave

wow that guy is crazy sammus!

if you want todo a decent pizza at high temps, get yourself a sandstone paver from bunnings, pop it on the grille of your hooded bbq (you better have one!) close the lid and rcank all burners until the stone reaches 250deg (might need a sight thermo for this). once at temp, kill the burners below the stone and leave the side ones on for convection.

Best pizzas without the need for a pizza oven! :icon_cheers:

My next attempt at pizzas will be a standard dough but the twist will be stretching it like a roti. after making rotis and getting a little practice its proabably a good process as there is no rolling, only stretching by air and some prodding.

The results were awesome!

The base stretched out very easily and had some nice aeration through the crust. I can see this is as good as its going to get for me until I get a hotter oven or a proper pizza oven.

... I should have made more :(

IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3946.JPG
IMG_3947.JPG

What an awesome first result Jye :p Looks tops!

I didn't think about hydration percents etc, I just took his basic method and followed it "thereabouts"

certainly shits all over the old dough I was making. Love that site so much haha.

If only those DLX mixers were available in Australia, I would have had one ages ago.... BB from denmark, anyone? :p

Fourstar: poor student here that only has BBQs at other peoples house, so I havent aquired myself one yet. I will in good time though! Then I'll try your method. Either that, or I'm going to figure out how to override the thermostat in my breville pizza over and hook it up to one of the many PIDs I have laying about... that sounds safe, right? Insurance will cover if I burn down my house leaving it on, right? :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back