Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super thin slices of potato, red onion and gorgonzola cheese, or similar blue cheese. Walnuts too ideally.

Otherwise goats cheese also works well.

Any sort of nice ham, veges to your taste, and slices of smoked cheese is another favourite.

Prawns marinated in the juice & zest of 1 lemon, lashings of cracked black peper and olive oil. Pancetta, tomato and monzarella. All cooked on the hot hearth of the brick oven! Only 2 mins to cook! And if using a pizza tray turn it upside down so the pizza is easier to remove once cooked!

Cheers
Juddy

(you'll need a baker's peel).

Do I detect a baking background, not many know the terminology, have you heard of a tro.

I'm all for simple and in the less is more camp as far as Pizza's go. Cant beat a Margeurita, named after the Queen and in the national colours. For the sauce, one large tomato and a clove of garlic thrown in the blender then spread thinly and sparingly on the base. Topping is simple, a slice of Mozzarella per slice (Bufo Mozzarella is best), Roma tomatoes sliced in half and placed skin down, a sprinkling of torn Basil leaves and a light sprinkling of Oregano thin crust is a must. Very attractive pizza and delicious.

Hint: for a thin base, dock the dough after spreading it on the pizza pan, stops it rising.

Just got a pizza stone with giant spatulla for the weber and gave it a go last night. Recipe as follows

1 honey squirted on large pita bread base
2 Margarita base goes on next ( made with tomatoe paste and oj)
3 sprinkle some motzarella on
4 red onion
5 baseil leaves
6 sweet potatoe slices (parboiled then bbqed)
7 spanish chorizo (bbqed)
8 chicken breast (bbqed)
9 cherry tomatoes
10 more motzarella
11 sour cream drizzle after done cooking

Came out just like the pros

Cheers, JJ

Part cooking the dough is a good trick to getting the ideal pizza base and a thin base is a must IMHO! I also add a Tbspn of olive oil to the dough mix.

Favourite topping includes: sundried tomato, kalamata olives, capsicum, fetta, sliced artechoke heart, mushrooms, with basil, oregano, a dash of chilli, on a nice rich tomato sauce.

Like a good beer, a good pizza is all about balance! Not to heavy on the toppings and go easy with the mozzarella.

Ah a good homebrewed beer & homemade pizza - a marriage made in heaven :beer:
I reckon pizza goes with just about any beer style too!
cheers
HStB

hi, do you use all purpose (plain) of self raising flour or dosn't it matter.

lauckes crusty bread flour makes a nice base with corn flour rolled into the base for a crispy base.

cheers, alan

when I make my own base i like to sprinkle/coat the dough in semolina it tastes great.

when I make my own base i like to sprinkle/coat the dough in semolina it tastes great.

hi, what ratio of non melting cheese (romano, parmesan, mozz-- etc) to melting cheese (tasty-etc) do you use , or what is recommended?

i tried tarragon herbs on a margarita (tomato) and it was a great tasting pizza.

the herb mix called "italian herbs" mixed through the cheese and sprinkled on top makes a great tasting pizza.

cheers.
, alan

Finally got my act together and built a pzza oven / bbq over the weekend.

Pizza_oven_MK1__5_.JPG

As you can see it has a small fire in it, just to help it cure.
Next weekend, lookout it will be home made pizza in a wood fired oven with hand crafted AG beer to wash it down :)
Life doesn't get much better.

hi, do you use all purpose (plain) of self raising flour or dosn't it matter.

lauckes crusty bread flour makes a nice base with corn flour rolled into the base for a crispy base.

cheers, alan
alan
I just use plain flour (never used S/R for bread)
Interesting idea on the corn flour - is this maize flour?

cheers
HStB

View attachment 13170

Next weekend, lookout it will be home made pizza in a wood fired oven with hand crafted AG beer to wash it down :)
Sensational set up Hashie
Somehow I don't think my crappy 4 burner gas bbq could cope with baking pizza - ok with the snags & chops but!
cheers
HStB

View attachment 13170

I'm really loving this thread, so much so that I want to build myself a pizza oven. Problem is, I don't know the first thing about them. Hashie, from the look ofyour design, you make the fire right inside the part where the pizza goes rather than under it. Is this how they work?If so then I gather you need a nice thick base to hold the heat in. Also, do you need enough room so that you can push the embers out of the way to get the pizza in? I had a look on google for DIY instructions but didn't really come up with anything suitable.

cheers

Browndog

Yeah, i'm interested in building one too browndog. I gather that they are mostly brick with maybe a render over. The way i understand, the fire is indeed inside the hole on the left, and thats where the pizza goes.

Anyone with plans or dimensions etc?

I'm really loving this thread, so much so that I want to build myself a pizza oven. Problem is, I don't know the first thing about them. Hashie, from the look ofyour design, you make the fire right inside the part where the pizza goes rather than under it. Is this how they work?If so then I gather you need a nice thick base to hold the heat in. Also, do you need enough room so that you can push the embers out of the way to get the pizza in? I had a look on google for DIY instructions but didn't really come up with anything suitable.

cheers

Browndog

All in this Book BD and Fixa

Your Brick Oven, Building it & baking in it by Russell Jeavons. Wakefield Press www.wakefieldpress.com.au

All in this Book BD and Fixa

Your Brick Oven, Building it & baking in it by Russell Jeavons. Wakefield Press www.wakefieldpress.com.au

Russell's is a great place to eat as well. Very popular not always open but fantastic food. Mainly pizza, but their is other food on menu.

It is in Willunga, near McLaren Vale in SA.

At this site the author provides a free CD ROM showing how to build your own pizza oven.

Some of the designs are fantastic and there are pictures of peoples ovens from around the worl who have used his knowledge to build one. These ovens are a bit large for my liking. You would need a lot of wood and people over to justify firing it.
I added the link in the links section a while ago.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/index.html

A better book IMHO is this one from Kiko Denzer.
With his method you dont need bricks apart from a few for the oven floor. You basically build a cobb oven which is using stuff available in your backyard, mainly clay. These are very old traditional wood fired mud ovens which are still in use today.

I purchased his book which is very easy to follow a while back now with the hope of building one myself but have not started yet.

http://www.intabas.com/kikodenzer.html#ovenbook

Happy building.

johnno

i just go up the road to la disfida in haberfield. service is grouchy, grudging and sullen but oh my god the pizza is amazing.

It would go well with two things and I think you know what it is ;)

BYB

Have the DVD Album now, watched PF while enjoying two bottles of FF about a week ago. Have to say, think I enjoyed yours more than the real thing. Been driving SWAMBO mad playing it aaaaallll day. Youngest son who play's can't believe how Gilmor pushes those strings about.

cheers

Browndog

Google harder, there are a quite a few plans out there, failing that PM me and I'll track down the one(s)? I've got (could be on my work PC :) )

they're right that book of Russels is the ducks nuts
he keeps no secrets and explains it simply.
apparently in the 3rd print run.
wakefield press

Latest posts

Back