Pitching Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have always pitched the yeast at a higher temp , It has taken 1- 2 hours to get back down to the temp That I want to ferment at.Should I be pitching lower and then bring it back up? :icon_cheers:

Depends on what the higher temp is.

If it is 45c then it may be a problem.

I pitch my yeast warm and throw the fermentor straight into a temp controlled fridge. I believe pitching warm gets your yeast active faster, minimising any bad yeast infections. As long as it is not sitting at the higher temp for too long to commence fermenting and throwing bad favours.

If you are getting to the desired temp within 2 hours I think all is great.

QldKev

Really depends on what you want out of the yeast and what your brewing IMO. But generally I'd say it's always gonna be safe to pitch at ferment temp. I've found even with just a few hours (in my case usually about 6) at a higher temp tends to produce some exrtra esters

njkgjkkhjjuiiiiio8o78

I pitch my yeast warm and throw the fermentor straight into a temp controlled fridge. I believe pitching warm gets your yeast active faster, minimising any bad yeast infections. As long as it is not sitting at the higher temp for too long to commence fermenting and throwing bad favours.

QldKev

njkgjkkhjjuiiiiio8o78

hmmm... interesting approach... something worth considering

Although... i prefer to make up a starter at pitching temp and pitch the whole active starter (not just the yeast slurry) into the main batch at pitching temp. This way i know all my yeast are happy and active all at the correct temperatures to give me the results i'm looking for.

Really depends on what you want out of the yeast and what your brewing IMO. But generally I'd say it's always gonna be safe to pitch at ferment temp. I've found even with just a few hours (in my case usually about 6) at a higher temp tends to produce some exrtra esters

I've seen recently (can't quite remember where) a recommnedation that for big beers (say over 8%) that you should pitch below ferment temp say 15 deg, so as to minimise esters in a high sugar environment, then ramp up to ferment temp (say 18 deg) after 24 hrs).

Temperature control is the key to making good beer Grasshopper,

Fusel alchohol can be developed if the yeast races away at higher temperatures despite trying to chill it down ,this can then slow the yeast down .

There should be no rush if you pitch at the required fermenting temperature with the correct amount of yeast , you will get a smoother beer .

pumpy :)

Thanks QldKev < Thats pretty much how I do It!!!

QldKev

Thanks Pennywise < I think you are right ..

Thanks Mate ote name='manticle' date='Nov 10 2010, 11:55 AM' post='702107']
Cat stand on the keyboard mate? I try and pitch at ferment temp. Like Kev I want the yeast to kick off quickly so I make active starters.
[/quote]

hmmm... interesting approach... something worth considering
lol

I'm the same as argon and manticle. After building up the yeast to pitching rates, get your yeast active in the same wort you're fermenting, then pitch it at the temp you want to ferment at. Nochilling makes this a piece of cake.

Latest posts

Back