Pitching Coopers Commercial Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
I have used the coopers commercial yeast twice so far. 1st time made an Extra strong vintage ale (ESVA) with no probs and the beer is the best I've ever brewed by far. Next time I used it in a coopers cerveza where it stalled (may not have used enough) in which I pitched some US-05 and finished it off. I took 4 weeks to finish. Just bottled, tasted good on bottling.

Both times after several generations with LDM I tipped most of the malt mix off after activity had stopped swirled the small amount of remaining LDM mixand then pitched the yeast. After a bit of reading on this site it seems people are pitching this yeast when it is still active.

So, is it best to pitch this yeast when it's dormant like I have previously or when it's active? I am going to make another ESVA tomorrow cause it's so bloody good.

Thanks in advance.

I have done the same when I first started brewing And using starters.. I always tip the whole starter in once krausen has been reached, by tipping all the wort from the top ofthe starter you are getting rid of alot if healthy yeast that are in suspension.. And by tipping just the settled layer on the bottom you will be pitching sluggish or unhealthy yeast that might floc out early and give a stalled ferment...

I'm only a amateur brewer so someone else can correct me, but from experience and from what I've read I think I'm pretty close to the mark

I was a bit obsessed with this yeast for a while there and did about 5 brews (3 of those in a row) with it. I tended to step it up slowly into quite a large starter (4L usually), wait until it settled, poured off the excess (I don't mind pitching up to 2L of starter but not that much) then pitched the remaining yeast cake. I was almost certaily over pitching, but it allowed me to ferment it quite cool and ramp up the temp after about 4 days. Love it. I'm having a break from it for the next few batches (focussing on my standard 1272 and giving 1318 a go for the first time).

But in Oct/Nov I'll probably pump out a few brews is a row using the reculture again.

To answer your question - I'm not sure the yeast I pitch is exactly "dormant", but it has certainly chewed out the vast majority of the fermentable by the time it has built up a cake big enough to pitch for my purposes.

Hope that helps? No idea how others use this yeast.

Both times after several generations with LDM I tipped most of the malt mix off after activity had stopped swirled the small amount of remaining LDM mixand then pitched the yeast. After a bit of reading on this site it seems people are pitching this yeast when it is still active.

So, is it best to pitch this yeast when it's dormant like I have previously or when it's active? I am going to make another ESVA tomorrow cause it's so bloody good.
There are advantages to both approaches, it really depends on your starter wort, beer wort and procedures.
The advantage is that when you pitch the starter at 'high krasuen' the yeast is active and presumably very healthy, however it also means pitching the full volume of the starter (which might be oxidized or have other off-flavours) into your beer, this is something that many people (myself included) hesitate to do.
On the other hand, if you let the yeast settle out, you can pitch only the yeast and will have no off-flavours from the starter/proccess introduced to your beer.
I always tip the whole starter in once krausen has been reached, by tipping all the wort from the top ofthe starter you are getting rid of alot if healthy yeast that are in suspension.. And by tipping just the settled layer on the bottom you will be pitching sluggish or unhealthy yeast that might floc out early and give a stalled ferment...
While pitching the yeast at 'high krasuen' does ensure that the yeast is active and healthy, it's not always the best approach in terms of yeast/fermentation health.
Active yeast 'condition' themselves for the specific wort they are growing in (types of sugars etc), if they are pitched into 'different' wort they may not be well prepared for the change in wort/environment and that is not always good for the yeast.

On the other hand, because starters involve a large amount of yeast in a small volume of wort, they should ferment out very quickly (which should only take ~24h or so more than pitching at 'high krasuen'). But if you do let the starter fully ferment and then settle, this allows the yeast to build up their food reserves (glycogen, trehalose) so that the yeast have a ready food supply to help them adapt to the new conditions when they are pitched into your beer. If - once the starter has fully fermented and settled out - the yeast is not stored for an extended period of time (more than a week or so), it's not going to be 'more unhealthy' than yeast pitched at 'high krasuen' and in some situations it might even be argued that it's actually 'more healthy' due to the build up of food reserves.

When stepping up starters I'll pitch them after 'only' 24 hours (which is usually when the yeast is active but after the majority of yeast-cell growth has occurred), since each starter step uses the same wort and we're looking to grow yeast not ferment beer. However at the last step, I usually allow a day or few extra, to let the yeast ferment the starter fully and then all settle out (it can be put in the fridge to help the yeast flocculate if required) before decanting the spent starter beer and pitching only the yeast (if there is any yeast left in suspension at that stage it will only be the least flocculant yeast and so I don't mind the possibility of tipping it, since discarding that yeast might help clear my beer quicker after it's finished fermenting).

I have done the same when I first started brewing And using starters.. I always tip the whole starter in once krausen has been reached, by tipping all the wort from the top ofthe starter you are getting rid of alot if healthy yeast that are in suspension.. And by tipping just the settled layer on the bottom you will be pitching sluggish or unhealthy yeast that might floc out early and give a stalled ferment...

I'm only a amateur brewer so someone else can correct me, but from experience and from what I've read I think I'm pretty close to the mark

I can see your point. I don't shake the starter for 2 days before it tip the top off the starter. By then the malt mix is clear and most of the yeast seems to have settled.

Still like to hear more on how people pitch this yeast, ie when it's active or 'dormant' (not sure that's the right word, hope you get what I mean).

I use the whole lot and at high krausen.

However my starters are always made from the same wort they're getting pitched to and I only aerate at the beginning and I ferment them at ferment temps.

If I was going to discard the top 'beer', I would let it ferment right out and let the yeast drop before doing so.

Back