Pin Lock Or Ball Lock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Yeah, I know it's probably been asked 100 times before but I am The Village Idiot(very small village)......Going to kegs but am a little unsure.....Pin or Ball.....??????????

Peter

Howdy All,

Yeah, I know it's probably been asked 100 times before but I am The Village Idiot(very small village)......Going to kegs but am a little unsure.....Pin or Ball.....??????????

Peter

Holden or Ford?
Vegemite or Marmite?
Smooth or Crunchy?
Tits or Arse?

With me here?

Ball locks seem to be the Holden, or "popular" choice, and if you're planning on swapping kegs with mates, will probably be the go.
Pin locks are generally cheaper and are the Fords, the Marmite, the Crunchy and the Arse, but it's all much of a muchness, they both do the same thing.

BF

Arse over tits anyday.... thanks, thought the lack of a relief valve on the pin locks might be an issue

Arse over tits anyday.... thanks, thought the lack of a relief valve on the pin locks might be an issue
I'm a tits man but I'll answer anyway :icon_chickcheers:

They are different size bro, the pin lock is like Boonie and the ball lock is like Bruce Ried. So a lot depends on where you want to put them, what sort of fridge space do you have?

PS- Is holden tits and ford arse or holden arse and tits ford?

If you're worried about it, get new lids with the pull-ring relief valves or fit your own.
i'm pretty sure the pinlock ones have a relief valve (with the 3 holes??).
and unless you're going to be storing them for months on end, I wouldn't worry about oxidisation.
and if you are, Co2 is heavier than air, you can purge it to minimise any air.

BF

Howdy All,

Peter

maybe not a 100 times but a simple search of your exact heading brought up these on the first page.
Really guys..at least try to use the bloody search before posting the same questions repeatedly

Ball Lock Vs Pin Lock Kegs - AussieHomeBrewer.com
www.aussiehomebrewer.com ... Gear and Equipment
6 posts - 4 authors - Last post: 1 Nov
im looking in to getting a couple of kegs and i was wondering the pros and cons of ball lock vs pin lock kegs. ive been brewing for a couple of ...

Ball Lock Vs Pin Lock Kegs? - AussieHomeBrewer.com
6 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 27 Sep
Pin lock kegs have 3 pins on the liquid out post and 2 on the gas in, so I guess its harder to get each side mixed up. Whereas the ball lock kegs ...

Ball Lock Or Pin Lock? - AussieHomeBrewer.com
www.aussiehomebrewer.com ... The Fermenter The Pub
5 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 15 Oct
SO could anyone explain what the differences are and the pros vs. cons of the Ball Locking kegs vs. Pin locking kegs. The two systems Im ...

Ball V Pin Lock Kegs...whats The Diff? - AussieHomeBrewer.com
www.aussiehomebrewer.com ... The Common Ground
4 posts - 4 authors - Last post: 4 May
anyway, Im keen to make the jump to kegs and note that Pin Lock kegs are cheaper (and seeminlgy less common) than ball lock.. What is the ...

Pin Lock V Ball Lock? - AussieHomeBrewer.com
35 posts - 15 authors - Last post: 10 Feb
I've been looking around, and I'm a little confused as to the difference between ball lock and pin lock kegs. Would anybody happen to know if ...

Pin Lock 2 Ball Lock Kegs - AussieHomeBrewer.com
8 posts - 6 authors - Last post: 6 Jan
I am now able to procure a couple of 'Pin Lock' kegs (Coca Cola). Would it be possible to convert these kegs to the 'Ball Lock' (Pepsi) type ? ...

Pin Lock Or Ball Lock? - AussieHomeBrewer.com
5 posts - 3 authors - Last post: 10 minutes ago
With me here? Ball locks seem to be the Holden, or "popular" choice, and if you' re planning on swapping kegs with mates, will probably be the go. Pin locks are ...

Key Pin Vs Ball Lock - AussieHomeBrewer.com
8 posts - 4 authors - Last post: 22 Jun 2010
I Am not sure of the differance between ball lock and key pin . I have worked out ball lock seems more popular. That is all I can work out. ...

Can You Convert Pin Lock Kegs To Ball Lock? - AussieHomeBrewer.com
9 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 17 Oct
Australia's Largest Home Brew Community - AussieHomeBrewer.

If you aren't bothered either way because.. hey it dispenses beer after all ... does that mean you are a tits and arse man?

Thanks for the help people(and the rant from Ross) maybe helping the newbies might be a more constructive approach Ross( I think that's one of the aims of the forum is it not????).

I will try to be more independant in future.

Go the pinlock.

Pinlock disconnects cannot be put on the wrong post.

If you "jam" the wrong connect (ball-lock) onto the wrong post (usually happens after a few beers) it will not work PLUS, you wont be able to get it off without damaging it.

Ball-locks are for the "yeah me too" mob

tnd

PS: Dont worry about Ross, he is just a grumpy b@stard

I like my pin-locks. They were very cheap.

I just procured a few pin-lock kegs. I don't know how much of an issue a leaking poppet valve is in the ball lock systems, but it's certainly a non-issue in the pinlock. You have to depress a small valve on the top of the gas post.

I suppose bleeding/burping o2 would be a tiny bit easier with a poppet valve, but really just much of a muchness.

I went with pin-lock for only two simple reasons. 1. cheaper (thanks to Coke having so many, they are in high supply). 2. They are shorter and of a wider diameter than the less vertically challenged pepsi variant, so they were better suited to the bar fridge I had available.

Go with whatever you have access to for the right price. Don't stress on one vs the other as they both do the same job.

I threw a bloody lot of Pinlock connects out........Gas & Beer....
Did not know what they were for..At the time.. :angry: :angry:
PJ

I like my ball lock, becasuse the PRV on it does allow me to micro-adjust my beer, on the odd occasion it overcarbonates (like having a force-carb'd keg on the same time as another already carbed keg).

But I can see that otherwise, no one really cares.

At the end of the day, the two most bestest bits of advise are probably

1) Buy what fits in your fridge. Pin-lock's tend to be wider and shorter, Ball-lock's tend to be taller and skinnier. I could get 5 ball-locks in, but only 4 pin-locks.
2) Buy what your friends have. That way you can take kegs round to each others places. They'll probably have Ball-lock's ;)

You can buy Pin-lock to Ball-lock conversion kits.

I just got into kegging a week ago. I went pins as they were cheap, also I wasn't worried about swapping as I went with bronco taps which are portable anyway. You can get different lids with valves but taking the disconnect off and pressing the valve takes 2secs anyway.

Back