Pimped Sugar.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought it was meant to be unrefined or something.
The recipe says "cane sugar" so I got the stuff with cane sugar written on it.
It looks different to the standard white gear.

there is also brown sugar , palm sugar ,icing sugar I doubt there is a variety of icing sugar cane growing.

I just use raw sugar for all my household and brewing needs. Not sure but I think Raw Sugar is less processed than the other forms of granulated sugars.

geeuz.

who calls normal everday sugar "cane sugar" anyway?
coffee luv?

yes please...milk and 2 cane sugars pls?

Bush coffee. Drink it after your sea tuna and endosperm sandwich with cow butter and yolk mayonnaise.

Sugar beet needs a cool dry climate which is why it's grown in places like East Anglia in the UK, and in Holland. They tried pilot plantations in Tasmania and it grew quite well, but not economically viable to set up a full scale industry there. It's grown on a very small scale around the place as a vegetable and is similar to beetroot without the red. Saw some at the Farmers Markets the other week. I passed :p

geeuz.

who calls normal everday sugar "cane sugar" anyway?
coffee luv?

yes please...milk and 2 cane sugars pls?

Grandmaster Flash 1983

Last edited by a moderator:
White sugar might be your best bet for a Blonde. Brown sugar really adds quite a bit of colour to your brew.
Don't know why brown sugar costs so much here in Oz when it takes less processing to produce. In places like Europe etc. it costs the same. We get shafted here in Australia. :angry:

White sugar might be your best bet for a Blonde. Brown sugar really adds quite a bit of colour to your brew.
Don't know why brown sugar costs so much here in Oz when it takes less processing to produce. In places like Europe etc. it costs the same. We get shafted here in Australia. :angry:

Da sugaz:

Being in Queensland I've been round a couple of sugar mills (Millaquin and Mossman - yup must be interesting as I've done it twice :lol: )

Wikipedia explains the process much better than I can

Basically what comes out of the mill in the form of the light tan coloured granules is "raw" sugar and is as far as most mills take the process. During the crystallisation, the "liquor" that is left over at each stage is reserved, concentrated and becomes golden syrup and eventually molasses. Most molasses goes to rum and cattle feed.

The raw sugar, and usually the syrups as well are sent on to the refineries, e.g. CSR, who further refine it to the common white sugar, caster sugar, icing sugar and numerous specialty sugars such as moist brown sugar, coffee crystals, etc.

Moist Brown sugar (light or dark) is made by powdering white sugar and reintroducing some molasses and syrups to it. It's not a "raw" or "natural" product as many people suppose, in fact it's refined refined sugar, and the extra processing step, plus the lower sales volume, leads to a far higher retail price.

However the raw sugar is generally cheaper than the white and is very widely used in QLD where people have been used to it for generations. If you use it in brewing it's available from catering suppliers really cheap, if you can go through a 25K bag. When I ran a LHBS in the 70s raw sugaz was de rigeur with your tin o Brigalow. B)

Not sure what quantities you're adding to your brews, but I see no real noticable colour change in up to 10% addition.

Cheers Ross

10% ? call that an addition?............ I'll show you an addition :lol:

Cant say I've ever noticed much of anything in the way of colour / flavour when using brown sugar. Only time I noticed a profound effect was after cooking the buggery out of it and adding to a low hopped, almost 100% pilsner malt strong ale.
Ill be going Bribie G's way with maltose just because it sounds like a good idea where yeast characteristics are more critical to the taste.
Soon as I can find an Asian grocer.
Not exactly Chinatown out north-west way. Might have to substitute for glucose.

Coles stock maltose IIRC it is called Rice syrup or something similar. Round about $3.50 for 500g.

Not as cheap as the stuff Bribie gets from the Asian Grocery store.

Coles stock maltose IIRC it is called Rice syrup or something similar. Round about $3.50 for 500g.

Not as cheap as the stuff Bribie gets from the Asian Grocery store.

$1.95 at my local Asian shop - and I always walk out with shedloads of spices and condiments and noodles and dimsums and...

Back to sugaz - IMO, unless you're adding an amber/dark candi syrup all sugaz is sugaz.

During my travels I found a purveyor of oriental goods in North Parramatta (yeah, who'da thunk it..) and picked up a couple of 1.2kg bottles of Korean corn syrup boasting 100% sacchride for $2.50 a pop.
Honestly, more variety in a shop the size of a Shell servo than a football field sized Coles.

Honestly, more variety in a shop the size of a Shell servo than a football field sized Coles.

At my local Asian, you have to swim through the packets to get to the spice you want. There's 18 different types of Corriander seed! 37 different Peppercorns but only one kind of crystalised MSG. Mmmmmm, hypertension.

I found a Vietnamese spring roll dipping sauce there a few years ago that I can no longer find. It's there somewhere I bet. The withered old Chinese lady when I ask just gives me red dragon face. "WA YOOU WAN?!" Dumb whitey, go to Woowerfs.

She must think I virtually live on Peking Duck; or put rice malt on my weetbix ... something I highly recommend incidently.

At my local Asian, you have to swim through the packets to get to the spice you want. There's 18 different types of Corriander seed! 37 different Peppercorns but only one kind of crystalised MSG. Mmmmmm, hypertension.

I found a Vietnamese spring roll dipping sauce there a few years ago that I can no longer find. It's there somewhere I bet. The withered old Chinese lady when I ask just gives me red dragon face. "WA YOOU WAN?!" Dumb whitey, go to Woowerfs.

She must think I virtually live on Peking Duck; or put rice malt on my weetbix ... something I highly recommend incidently.

I got a bag of those tiny fried shrimp - that's what they look like anyway. Probably go nice on some kind of spicy salad.

I wouldn't recommend the Aloe Vera drink however. Unless you enjoy beverages with the viscosity of mucus.
Probably give that can with the prawn on it a miss to.

Latest posts

Back