Pilsner Urquell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 parts. Part 2 is Urquell. We have no hope of cloning the original... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you'll need a 1 hr protein rest with that malt Trippers.

I take my decoctions after my first sacch rest has been sitting for 10-15 minutes so I don't need to worry about a short rest before boiling thereafter.

I'll list what i normally do (about to go out now) a bit later. It's rough and ready but casual and works well. I like the flavour contribution of decoctions.

Part 2 is the best, And yes we could never clone this beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my nose, it's got that signature Boh Pils flavour. Hard to explain - almost a very, very slight funkiness/earthiness. I think a lot of people mistake the grain character for something in the Saaz.
I concur, that's quite a reasonable way to explain the flavour. Wey Pils or Premium Pils would probably be OK in this with decoction but just lacks the Boh Pils tantalising earthy hint which actually elevates the character rather than detracts. Unsure if floor- malted or regular/ pneumatic Bo Pils is better, I've always used the former with very satisfying results.

I'll list what I normally do (about to go out now) a bit later. It's rough and ready but casual and works well. I like the flavour contribution of decoctions.

It varies a little and is always a a bit rough and ready but a typical schedule for me involving 2-3 decoctions.:

Dough in 55, hold for 5-10 mins. I sometimes remove 1/3 thick mash here and allow to slowly rise in temp on stove - there will be enough beta amylase activity from 55 through the rise. The decoction itself also helps degrade starches (one reason it was traditionally used when malt was far less well modified). Bring to boil.

Increase main mash to 62, hold for 10-15, remove 1/3 thick mash and bring to boil on stove. Boil slowly and stir when necessary (doesn't require constant stirring but does require attention)

Increase main mash temp to 68, hold for 40-50 mins.

Add back 1st decoction until main mash is at 72. I don't always do this but you could remove a mainly liquid portion of mash (still some grain), bring to boil and add back all decoctions until main mash is at 78.

You could try and calculate exactly what each portion should be in order to hit your steps but seeing as I (and you) can hit steps without relying on the decoction, I don't really need to. My decocting is mainly flavour related.

However, apart from the overly long (to my mind) protein rest, your process looks all good to me.

Latest posts

Back