Pilsner Urquell Cheaper Than Tooheys Pils ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgums500

Reaction score
My God !!
Strolled into the bottle shop of a major supermarket chain this afternoon, and bought a case of Pilsner Urquell for $38. The manager said it tasted like crap :blink: and that I could have it for the same price as Bitburger ( which also tasted like crap ). Was politely told Iwas wasting my money and should get a decent premium beer like Carlton Cold that I would really enjoy :huh: Noticed as I was paying (for the Urquell) that Tooheys Pils was on special for $42 a case. WTF are these chains doing ? Anyway, their loss ...my gain ;)

Cheering ;)

redgums

You can put a price on taste, and this time it was no-one from AHB! :)

yeah i bought a carton of it a few weeks back for $38 at dan murpheys

Its used by date was about 2 weeks to go and it tasted like cardboard.

I think australia has become a dumpiung ground for old beer.

Hell we produce VB and fosters...... we will drink that.

cheers

yeah i bought a carton of it a few weeks back for $38 at dan murpheys

Its used by date was about 2 weeks to go and it tasted like cardboard.

I think australia has become a dumpiung ground for old beer.

cheers

Couldn't agree more Tony. However the use by date on this was December 2007. Tastes fresh mmmmmmmmm!!! :super:

redgums

Yep, I got some a few weeks ago, was nice and fresh at that price. I was stoked.

sad news is consumers: that equates to Captain Dickhead, Sales Manager, clearing decent Pils, even at a loss before the stock expires, so the accountant buys him a free Coke (and if you know accountants, that's like a blowjob) and never ordering it again. Because Coldton Notaste sells a heap more pallets than German who-knows-what. Joe Public don't want that bitter shit, they want VB, it's not bitter at all!

oh thank god...... i was worried we were getting the crap.

My brother rang me last week from uncle dans and asked about the euquell and i said check the used by.

stale shit !

glad its only there

buyer beware

i check the dates now

cheers

Mine was from 1st choice not Dan Murphys so maybe that's the secret to getting fresh beer?

,chopped> I think australia has become a dumpiung ground for old beer.

</chopped>
WILL we drink that?
Not sure that I can! :huh:

I'm not so poor that I can't afford a better beer or wait until I make my next batch.

It's good to see Urquell at the right price, but does it mean that it will be made in Oz soon?
If so, I'll have to move to Prague (at least until the price of beer goes too high).

Seth :p

Mine was from 1st choice not Dan Murphys so maybe that's the secret to getting fresh beer?

i agree.... dans has its goods but has its bads too.... lile i said, byer beware

WILL we drink that?
Not sure that I can! :huh:

I'm not so poor that I can't afford a better beer or wait until I make my next batch.

It's good to see Urquell at the right price, but does it mean that it will be made in Oz soon?
If so, I'll have to move to Prague (at least until the price of beer goes too high).

Seth :p

Ahhh true.

Since i started kegging i have missed having bottles to fall back on when the kegs are empty.

I have been shopping for a bargain but thet bit me with the pils. the carton before was JS hop theif that i enjoyed.

I have taken to pre cold carbing my kegs now so i just swap em and its overnight.

And im starting to do small 12 bottle experimental mashes to bottel.

cheers

Like Tony, I picked some up from Dan Murphys at Green Hillls and after drinking I instantly checked the date; sure enough had a week to go. I didn't mind too much as I do prefer to drink the PU (even if it is on the way out) rather than VB for the same price.

g

one of my LBS keeos buying in Kronenberg and cant sell it. SO 2 weeks before it expires they try and sell it for $35 slab. :D i just happen to walk in and buy it up. My old man loves it so I make myself out to be the good son!!!!!!!!!

SO long as its in date or just after it should be fine. LBS just cant sell out of date beer as it a food safety regulation. Thats why bottlo attendants SHOULD have a food handleers certificate by lw as yeast is a live food product.

if you buy beer and it tastes crap, take it back and get your money back (you just need your receipt). Its a nice failsafe

LBS just cant sell out of date beer as it a food safety regulation. Thats why bottlo attendants SHOULD have a food handleers certificate by lw as yeast is a live food product.

Some beers don't have a use by date. Last time I checked a Coopers' bottle, it had a best after date. And some beers have a BEST BEFORE which is not the same thing as a USE BY.

So how does this food safety regulation get enforced?

And since when do all beers have live yeast in them?

Just about all beers are filtered/pasteurised such that there is no live yeast remaining, and can go off. Most Coopers ales, german wheat beers, and belgian ales contain live yeast and do not "go off" as such.

i agree.... dans has its goods but has its bads too.... lile i said, byer beware
Ahhh true.

Since i started kegging i have missed having bottles to fall back on when the kegs are empty.

I have been shopping for a bargain but thet bit me with the pils. the carton before was JS hop theif that i enjoyed.

I have taken to pre cold carbing my kegs now so i just swap em and its overnight.

And im starting to do small 12 bottle experimental mashes to bottel.

cheers
You told me about the small batch experimentals at the lhbs today.

Pls keep us all in the loop re those batches

Chierz

Les :lol:

Dan Murphy is Like a McDonalds serving/selling beer.

Better go for fresh unless you're a punter.

Urquel in a case is better then six packs.
Which are always in light.

Skunk man

I think theres a lot of Urquel coming into both Aussie and NZ at the moment because Coke/Miller just picked up the distribution for it.
The joint venture, Pacific Beverages, will soon start importing the Italian beer Peroni Nastro Azzurro, the Czech beer Pilsner Urquell and the Milwaukee-brewed Miller Genuine Draft.
from http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/more-c...4803026606.html

Tooheys Pils - Aarrghhh!

They should be taken to consumer affairs for misleading the drinking public. That beer is NOT a Pils!

I wish my bottlo sold Urquell at any price.

Urquel in a case is better then six packs.
Which are always in light.

Skunk man

Yep, I had a bottle of a mates Urquell a few days ago. They were on special for $40 and were definitely skunked. Luckily he had some Mac's Hop Rocker as well which wasn't too bad.

My local Dans has LCPA for about $59 a case and the use by is July 08, so they are not always trying to get rid of old stock but move units or close down the local competition who sell it for around $20 a six pack.

Seems that same Dans has a $h!t load of PU to get rid of as well but I haven't checked the date although Staropramen and Zatec Pils competes very well with the PU

Back