Pils With Wheat Yeast And Coriander And Orange ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Need some help from the wheat beer brewers. I have had some dried orange peel, and coriander seeds laying around for ages, along with some 3078. If i did a 100% pils beer, but fermented with the 3078 ( weihenstephan ) ,and used the spices, would it be a decent beer??. I dont expect it to be a hoe clone or anything close, but im wondering how it would turn out, or even if it's worth doing??. I guess im after a spiced ale, and am wondering if this will be alright

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Give it a crack. A nice beer to drink in summer perhaps?

The aromatics from the coriander and orange are important, so if these ingredients are old and/or have been exposed to air for some time then their potency will be reduced. They are also very delicate and are hard to keep in the brew.

I did a few extract recipes a while ago. It worked best with freshly dried orange peel (well washed, orange zest only - no white bits, and oven on very low heat until just "dried" but enough to concentrate the orange oils) and coriander seeds (fresh from the garden and cracked). Both were added at the very end of the boil went the heat was turned off. You could also add them to the secondary.

Another couple of nice additions to consider: rolled/flaked oats (mashed) and orange blossom honey (again towards the end of the boil).

Just a few thoughts.

Latest posts

Back