Phenolic aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2much2spend

Reaction score
Just looking for some advice, I've been fermenting a Cali common now for almost a week (it's been going very strong for 6 days now)
I got a hydro sample this morning and I'm getting a mad phenolic aroma to witch l think came from a little hi ferment temp (it ramped it's self up from 19c to 23.5c over 3-4 days) it's down to 1010 from 1055. I made a 3 step starter using brewers friend calc.
Im hoping it's not a bug because I really do the best I can to clean and sanitise.
From my experience these aromas come from hi ferment temp (I could be wrong ) do any of you have some advice about dealing and getting rid of this?

Thanks

I hope it's not a phenolic character, as that (in a clean beer-style) is almost always a wild yeast character.

Are you certain that it's phenolic?

From what I'm tasting. It is a wet band aid reminder for me. But its not in the flavor.

I'm hopeing it's not an infection

WLP001 is a straight-up, no nonsense clean yeast. So it's not the yeast. Those temps, while not ideal, shouldn't produce any phenolic flavours or aromas I wouldn't reckon. My money's on infection. Have a look at it and post a photo. WLP001 takes ages for the krausen to drop nowadays. It never used to. Good luck.

Chlorine used anywhere in sanitation? Heavily chlorinated or chloraminated tap water?

It shouldn't be chlorine because I use starsan and I use Melbourne water. I do clean and sanitize well. In also using a stainless conical.
But I think this may be true about the infection, thinking by process of elimination

I think that it will be going down the sink tonight.
Dammmmit!!!!!!

Have you tasted it?

Tastes like a good beer but the aroma is just that bit off putting.
I comment on others who brew something like that so I can't be putting a beer like that up for drinking.

I brew in the car hole and I chill with a copper immersion coil.

I think (if it is a bug) it's come from the make up water added to the fermenter, I did use a different tap this time.

I also need to find the 20gal brewtech kettle but I cannot find one locally.

If it's infected I'd expect it to taste off too.
It's only 6 days in - won't hurt to let it go for another week and reassess then.

Oh well it has gone to the beer gods! The phenolic was getting worse.

Think I found what might be the problem. Where I got my make up water from. Don't think it was the cleanest of hose's

I recently brewed two batches that had it. The only common themes were my water (first two batches at a new house), my sanitiser (iodophor) and the small ball valve (not cleaned) of my fermentor - as I pitched Wort straight into my 1st yeast cake!

Since I picked up some of the same flavours in the second batch, I bought a water filter, campden tablets (take care of chlorine & chloromine) gave the valve and fv a good clean and sanitize and have a new batch going. I would have liked to have changed only 1 element at a time to nail what the cause was, but phenolic can come from many different things. Good luck!

I think I should have fixed it, we will see I just started another batch last night.

Did you make any effort to de-chlorinate your water?

When you say band-aid.... I think chlorine.

In wine, brett can often smell like bandaids: 4EP is often plastic / bandaid while 4EG can be smoke / cloves and 4EC the classic horseshit / dirty straw.

Matplat said:
Did you make any effort to de-chlorinate your water?

When you say band-aid.... I think chlorine.
no i didn't don't seen to have a chlorine problem I'm Melbourne. Plus my hot liquor tank sits full the night before.

It's sites remind me of an over heated electronic part, circuit board or a lead.

Should be fine having sat overnight. Unlikely there will be any chloromines given it is cbd water.

Latest posts

Back