Ph 7.5 So Add Gypsum Or Not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to do a lager/pilsner along the lines of:

3000g Weyermann Pilsner Malt cracked and vacuum sealed
250g Weyermann Munich 1 Malt (340g Carapils malt = 19L from p20 Nov Brew Your Own)
Single mash then adding 1.5Kg Coopers Light Malt to make 21L for a partial. Hops:
39 g Saaz 3.5% @ 60min
47 g Saaz 3.5% @ 30min
24 g Saaz 3.5% @ 15min
24 g Saaz 3.5% @ 0min

The ph of my water is 7.5 so should I add some Gypsum or not? I was going to add 2 teaspoons to see if I could drop the ph to 5.5 in the mash (which is not far of being pretty optimal afaik).

Any feedback appreciated.

M

It is the PH of youmash you have to worry about, not the PH of your water.

Measure the PH of your mash and make decisions based on that measurement.

Regards

Graeme

It is the PH of youmash you have to worry about, not the PH of your water.

Measure the PH of your mash and make decisions based on that measurement.

Regards

Graeme

Does he sparge ????

Breweries must waste so much money rebuilding all of their brewing water.

Screwy

what is the calcium content of your water, most brewing sources suggest 50 for lighter styles to 150 ppm for others. gypsum will also make the bitterness more apparent.

what is the calcium content of your water, most brewing sources suggest 50 for lighter styles to 150 ppm for others. gypsum will also make the bitterness more apparent.

Thanks for the feedback to all.

Not sure of the calcium content. Brisbane water so if anyone can enlighten me then that would be appreciated.

Ended up adding 2 tsp of calcium sulphate and the start of the mash was 5.7 and the end 5.4. Agree that bitternes could become more apparent and should seem more "crisp"

Cheers,

M

I use this for every brew: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

Reading in Palmer's about the mineral content "good values" and using the Brisbane brewers nomograph, plugging in the water values for Sydney Prospect water. For Brisbane I am sure someone else will have the water mineral report to use.

the brisbane brewers web site seems to be down, but try this links again a bit later:

water: http://www.babbrewers.com/water
nomograph: http://www.babbrewers.com/water

Using the nomograph takes a little getting used to. Start by reading the Palmer chapter.

Basically your water is too hard to brew such a light-coloured beer without any water additions (or acid rest). That means that when mashing only pilsner or base malt in the water, the resulting mash pH will be "too high" as in higher than optimal.
There are at least two ways to reduce the pH (make the water sour). One is to add something sour like citric acid or gypsum salt, another way is to leave the grains for hours, letting the grains reduce the pH naturally.

There are two things you (may) want to do, though. And reducing the pH is only one of them.
The other is to bring water mineral content to "acceptable" values as listed by Palmer.

If you use an acid rest or say citric acid (or pH 5.2) products to reduce the mash pH, you are taking care of the actual pH but ignoring the mineral content. How much this actually matters I am not experienced enough to say, but reading about this it seems to make a difference :D

By reducing the mash pH by adding water salts, you are
-reducing pH
-increasing calcium, magnesium, sulphates, etc

to in the case of a light-coloured beer you get low enough mash pH and the "right" mineral content for a good extraction, clear beer, increased hop crispness and whatever else is said to be related to water chemistry.

Sorry, forgot to say that the third way to reduce mash pH is to use darker grains. Darker grains are "sour" as in they reduce the pH of the water they are mashed in. So for an amber coloured beer in Sydney, we don't need to worry about mash pH, but you may or may not choose to still add water additions to deal with the low calcium, etc in the water here. Brewing a stout (again in Sydney as I don't know the water profile for Brisbane) will mean you are adding more dark grains than is necessary to get optimal mash pH, meaning the mash will be too low (too sour).
To counter-act this we add other water additions like chalk or baking powder to increase the mash pH again.

I've had much fun reading about water chemistry and trying to work out what to add for each recipe, but feel this is part chemistry and part crystal-ball kind of talk, so I always err on the side of adding a bit less than I seem to need :)

sorry for the long rant, guess I should have only linked to the chapter by Palmer and left it at that,

thanks
Bjorn

Thanks for the feedback to all.

Not sure of the calcium content. Brisbane water so if anyone can enlighten me then that would be appreciated.

Ended up adding 2 tsp of calcium sulphate and the start of the mash was 5.7 and the end 5.4. Agree that bitternes could become more apparent and should seem more "crisp"

Cheers,

M

Just chuck in a teaspoon of 5.2
Available from AHB sponsors and other fine LHBS shops
easy
:p

Just chuck in a teaspoon of 5.2
Available from AHB sponsors and other fine LHBS shops
easy
:p

1 Tablespoon (11g approx) per 5 Gal/23litre batch is closer to the recommended rate :)

Great stuff if you live in an area with water blended from 2 different dam sources with pH varying between 7.5 and 8.2 sometimes on a weekly basis.
Best not to mention that the chloride peaked last year at 170ppm <_<

This thread should have died a long time ago or been transformed to a water treatment seminar.

As has been said the pH of the water used for brewing has nothing to do with the pH of the mash.

What is important is to know the Calcium, Magnesium, and hardness or alkalinity of the water. Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate are also important to brew a balanced beer.

Anyone that just chucks in a spoon of this or a dash of that with out knowing what the basic profile of the water is is just daft.

The more I learn about water the more I find I do not know. I think it is time for those that are messing with water to post their recipes even if they are not final. I am not quite there as I do not brew enough to know if the adjustments to water make a difference.

I can say I have had no stuck ferments after I started to add Epsom Salts to get my magnesium to 15 to 18 ppm.

For an in your face American IPA I can say that a mash water adjustment to Calcium 123-156ppm, Magnesium 23-24ppm, Alkalinity as CACO3 146-185ppm, Sodium 30-32ppm, Chloride 84-85ppm, and Sulfate 161-169ppm will get you an excellent beer. Of course you must hop to an American standard.

Looking for a good profile for wheats and wits. I find that wheat messes with the pH calculations in all the texts and programs. I have one in the fermentor that I treated as a darker beer and added some calcium carbonate to get the mash pH down.

How is this as a thread hi-jack?

Back