Perth Stockpot/boilpot Source?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon W

Beer Good
Reaction score
I tried searching every keyword I could think of for a stockpot with Perth or WA and got nothing but 'Sorry, we could find no matches' blah.

I'm gonna buy a stockpot in the next couple of weeks and was wondering where the rest of you Perth guys got yours?

I've found a 40L Ali stockpot at QCC catering for $103, a 50L for $126 and 60L for $139. Theres also same volume boilers with fat bums (short'n'wide compared to stockpots, so more heating surface) at almost double the price.
QCC seem a bit pricey compared to what the eastern states guys are paying. For example, a QCC sourced 60L pot costs the same as a Robinox 100L pot from Allquip.

So any tips on alternative sources in WA?.
I've heard of Asian food supply stores but the yellow pages isn't any help here.

Cheers, Simo

I haven't been there myself, but ausDB has a huge Al stockpot from Kongs. Didn't set him back too much, maybe he can fill in the gaps.

The el-cheapo's are at Kong's Asian Supermarkets (one in Vic Park opp. the park centre is the only one I know of)
~$55 for ~50L....but it's very thin (chance of cooking the brew) and pretty average stainless.
U get what u pay for basically.
C ya at the brew day :D

Kong's in Northbridge have a pot that is 49cm D x 48 cm H (80L or so?) for $50. It's very thin SS but I found it easy enough to drill. Time will only tell how it stands up.

Also, Gibson & Patterson (and TWOC) stock Robinox pots, but they are very expensive compared to what is paid over east.

I haven't been there myself, but ausDB has a huge Al stockpot from Kongs. Didn't set him back too much, maybe he can fill in the gaps.
Wash your mouth out barf its Stainless I only call it the "coke can kettle"

The el-cheapo's are at Kong's Asian Supermarkets (one in Vic Park opp. the park centre is the only one I know of)
~$55 for ~50L....but it's very thin (chance of cooking the brew) and pretty average stainless.
U get what u pay for basically.
C ya at the brew day :D
Kongs in Northbridge $55 for 80L, You will see it in action tomorrow, as for cooking the brew mika a heat diffuser can be made from a piece of 3mm ali plate but I havent bothered yet.

Kong's in Northbridge have a pot that is 49cm D x 48 cm H (80L or so?) for $50. It's very thin SS but I found it easy enough to drill. Time will only tell how it stands up.
Also, Gibson & Patterson (and TWOC) stock Robinox pots, but they are very expensive compared to what is paid over east.
Both will be in action tomrrow as Vlad's MOABK (mother of all brew kettles) is making a guest appearance

See you all there

Thanks heaps guys. Thats my kind of price, but 80L! wow.
Nice and wide too which should help the boil.
Looks like I'm visiting Kong's.

I think I know what you mean by thin SS, I have a pair of thin 20L made-in-India pots that were $10each at RedDot. Fine for my usual small batches.

I like the diffuser idea, got some 16 and 20mm thick ali plate, might be overkill!

Thanks again to Kook and ausdb for the heads up.
Grabbed a pot from the Vic Park store yesterday.

For anyone else considering these pots, I discovered they have sizes other than the 50cm one: 30,35,40 and 45cm.
The 50cm one you guys have is too big for me, I considered the 40cm one($45) but the store owner lent me a tape and it measured 38cm ID x 39cm H, approx 34L with headspace, so I grabbed a 45cm.

The 45cm is actually 43cm internal dia x 44cm to the rim. If I leave a 4"/100mm headspace it works out close to 50L, plenty 'nuff for me. The 50cm/85L is $60, and the one I got was $55.50.

Simo

Hey guy's i'm very new here, and am wondering about these brew days. what are the details or is it a bit cloak and dagger until i have enough posts? :ph34r:

Welcome Team_Beer. There's nothing cloak and dagger going on.... well, not much anyway.

Once in a while a brewer will offer to put on a brew-day and issue an invitation on this forum. That's about it. Every day is different, except they all share good company and plenty of home brewed beer.

There are also occassional drinks in town (Perth), or even less frequently a stubble around Freo. There is an anual Christmas Case where each brewer brings a case of beer to share with other participants - unfortunatley, I believe that you are probably too late to be in on that one this year.

Another thing that you might be interested in is the West Coast Brewers Brewing Club. We meet on the Second Monday of each month at the Rivervale Community Centre - Look at the West Coast Brewers thread here.

Hmm... the vic park store didnt have any left :)
ended up @ Kongs Northbridge and they only charged me $45 for a 45cm pot! she read the wrong label?

so this will be big enough for both single and double batch right?

Rob.

It will be pretty tight for a double batch RR if Simon W's size / volume statement of 50l is correct. Once you factor in your losses from evaporation/ shrinkage/ remainder left in bottom with hop debris/ hot break etc you will find your double batch size will be smallish (unless you start with a higher OG and add boiled water to your fermenter/s afterwards to your desired gravity).
Cheers
Doug

Hmm... the vic park store didnt have any left :)
ended up @ Kongs Northbridge and they only charged me $45 for a 45cm pot! she read the wrong label?

so this will be big enough for both single and double batch right?

Rob.

Should be sweet and if you are trying to max it out get some of the kettle antifoam from Roy. Remember NASA burners are not a good idea either, unless you have some sort of a heat diffuser plate go with a three or four ring.

If you ask me nicely I may even have a bit of that stainless sheet with the holes in it to make a diverter plate for whirlpooling as well. Also remember any silver solder you use needs to be Cadmium free.

How about in Sydney? Where did you guys get your 40-50L pots from?

How about in Sydney? Where did you guys get your 40-50L pots from?

I got mine from kenscom.com.au but it seems that allquip.com.au are now cheaper for anything over 40L. A Robinox ally pot will be fine and is easier to drill a spigot into. Mine was a 40L from memory and cost me $80 or so. If i did it again i'd get a 50L just for that bit of extra space.

I saw one at the Hospitality store at Camperdown the other day for a bit more on special (and if you are in the hospitality trade you get another 10% off) but i think you can visit Allquip, they're at Alexandria.

Latest posts

Back