Perth International Beerfest 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexP

Reaction score
Hey guys
I saw an ad in this week's Xpress magazine for the Perth International Beerfest, http://beerfest.net.au/
Its Jan 10-11 but apart from that, information is pretty thin.
Does anyone know anything about it?

Last I heard was that it was hideously expensive for the local micros to have a presence, and that most wouldn't be bothering.

Last I heard was that it was hideously expensive for the local micros to have a presence, and that most wouldn't be bothering.

Well thats S*%#, already off to a bad start :S Half the reason I was going to go was to check out the local talent :\

I don't mean to be negative as I could be totally wrong, it could be a great event, But:

Look at the website. They don't even mention the beers on there. Yet theres a whole page about the entertainment there (rock climbing?!? How is that a good idea when combined with drink?). It sounds more like a drinking festival than a beer festival. Opening hours are strange too, 3pm-10pm?

It has the potential to end up being bad press for beer. Imagine if they end up with 5,000 pissed idiots all pouring out at 10pm. Or someone breaks there neck on the rock climbing thing.

I'd love to see a real beer festival here in Perth - but I don't think Langley Park is the right venue for it. I'm not sure we're culturally ready for it yet either. You only have to look at Spring in the Valley. What should be a day about enjoying the weather, great wine, beers and produce normally turns into a pissfest.

I don't mean to be negative as I could be totally wrong, it could be a great event, But:

Look at the website. They don't even mention the beers on there. Yet theres a whole page about the entertainment there (rock climbing?!? How is that a good idea when combined with drink?). It sounds more like a drinking festival than a beer festival. Opening hours are strange too, 3pm-10pm?

It has the potential to end up being bad press for beer. Imagine if they end up with 5,000 pissed idiots all pouring out at 10pm. Or someone breaks there neck on the rock climbing thing.

I'd love to see a real beer festival here in Perth - but I don't think Langley Park is the right venue for it. I'm not sure we're culturally ready for it yet either. You only have to look at Spring in the Valley. What should be a day about enjoying the weather, great wine, beers and produce normally turns into a pissfest.

I would have to agree with you kook, I look at things like Bitter and Twisted over east and stuff like GABF in the states and I wish one day we could have something like that in Perth.
Here's to beer education :icon_chickcheers:

Needs more beardy anoraks, less pissed bogans.

Works well for Real Ale festivals in the UK

Needs more beardy anoraks, less pissed bogans.

Works well for Real Ale festivals in the UK

Not sure that beardy anoraks will help :)

I'd love to see a festival happen in Perth that focused purely on craft beer, cheese and other artisan foodstuffs. Don't advertise it through major media, instead use word-of-mouth, put flyers at microbreweries, specialty food stores and bottle shops. Have it a price point and serving size where you're not going to attract pissed bogans. Serve beer and foodstuffs that won't be attractive to them too.

It's personally the only way I can see of avoiding unsavory crowds, even if it does do a little disrespect to the humble roots of beer.

I had the misfortune of attending this event some years back when it was in Fremantly way. In summary; too many people, not enough quality beer. We ended up leaving after about an hour and going to the Norfolk to drink in peace.

Bogon Pride Beer Fest, now that has a nice ring to it.Have it Barbagello race track so "They" can watch the V8 cars go round and round, a boxing tent, sponsored by Swan brewery and Winnie Blues. Sweet mate :icon_drunk:
I believe there is a little bit of Bogon in all of us, so each to there own.
I went to the beer fest in Freo and loved all 8 hrs of it, I guess I was just with a good crowd and we found some great beers there.Music was fantastic.
GB

yeah i loved it also lots of good beer what i didn't enjoy was the bloody 40+ deg weather
i will be going to next years event with the wife but she will be 8.5 months pregnant at the event
so hopefully the baby isn't early :D
cheers paul

Bogon Pride Beer Fest, now that has a nice ring to it.Have it Barbagello race track so "They" can watch the V8 cars go round and round, a boxing tent, sponsored by Swan brewery and Winnie Blues. Sweet mate :icon_drunk:
I believe there is a little bit of Bogon in all of us, so each to there own.

GB
Its BogAn, only true bogans spell it BogOn

LOL

Was thinking of flying over but after reading these comments I might give it a miss and wait for my annual holidays before I visit.

dogs01

http://www.beerfest.net.au/the_beers.html

the beers have been added, hardly amazing

I emailed them a few weeks ago enquiring about the beers and received nothing back. Suprised to see Fullers there.

Several of the beers there are from the same company (Greene King).

Disappointing line-up really. It's a shame to see only one WA brewery listed. I'd love to see a real beer festival happen in Perth, something that supports local breweries and promotes the craft rather than a radio station.

I won't be attending.

I'd love to see a festival happen in Perth that focused purely on craft beer, cheese and other artisan foodstuffs. Don't advertise it through major media, instead use word-of-mouth, put flyers at microbreweries, specialty food stores and bottle shops. Have it a price point and serving size where you're not going to attract pissed bogans. Serve beer and foodstuffs that won't be attractive to them too. It's personally the only way I can see of avoiding unsavory crowds, even if it does do a little disrespect to the humble roots of beer.

When's your birthday? We should be able to do one of these in your backyard.

Isn't Brett a bogan name ? It's certainly makes a beer taste bogan :icon_cheers:

When's your birthday? We should be able to do one of these in your backyard.

Thing is - I've attended events like this in other countries that have attracted hundreds of people just on the promise of good beer. Londons first Belgian Beer Festival was a good example.

Sure - there is a pretty big population difference there, but look at ANHC. A great gathering of people actually passionate and interested about beer. Not a "beer festival" where rock climbing and bouncy castles take priority over the beer itself.

It would be interesting to know the member numbers for something like the International Beer Shops members club. Even if only 25% of members turned up to such an event, I'd imagine that would still be enough to fill a hall. I'll bet the costs for licensing / liability insurance would be the prohibitive factor though.

Well having been today all i can say is DISMAL :angry:

LOL Rich, I saw yesterdays(Sat) crowd on the tail-end of the news, including a candid shot of one young dude holding up a plastic cup of something dark to look at the colour and screwing his face up at it..... convinced me not to go today.
That dude probably tried to 'glass' someone with the plastic cup later in the day.....

OT edit: nice sig, Deadwood :beerbang:
Shame it got cancelled.

LOL Rich, I saw yesterdays(Sat) crowd on the tail-end of the news, including a candid shot of one young dude holding up a plastic cup of something dark to look at the colour and screwing his face up at it..... convinced me not to go today.
That dude probably tried to 'glass' someone with the plastic cup later in the day.....

OT edit: nice sig, Deadwood :beerbang:
Shame it got cancelled.
The queues to get a beer inside weren't much better and to be honest the whole event was a comlete scam people were leaving by 3.30 as fast as they were going in myself included. You couldn't pay me to go again.

As for deadwood Damn Shame

Rich

Back