• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Perth - 25ltr reflux still

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mammon6019

Reaction score
This is a 25ltr still spirit reflux still
comes with carbon filter setup
$250

20130726_104426.jpg

20130726_104456.jpg

dude i think your on the wrong forum with that one.
we dont discuss it here.

barls said:
dude i think your on the wrong forum with that one.
we dont discuss it here.
Many people use them on this forum, distilling water for brewing is sometimes needed in certain situations (bore water, dam water)...

shaunous said:
Many people use them on this forum, distilling water for brewing is sometimes needed in certain situations (bore water, dam water)...
that may be the case but if you go back and read the rules on here. we dont discuss illegal activities here.

Is it the size of the still that makes it illegal? Genuine question, as I understand it's legal for certain amounts of distilling water and essential oils.

My understanding is that distilling anything other than moonshine liquor is legal, the latter is illegal unless you pay the government the appropriate dues to obtain a licence. I wasn't aware that size had anything to do with it.

barls said:
we dont discuss illegal activities here.
I am all for not discussing illegal activities, but distilling isn't illegal if you aren't making hooch. Does that rule out a discussion about the merit of distilling pure and simple H2O for the purposes of making beer? Genuine question, not being a smart ass.

My understanding (received wisdom, not evidence based) is that the legal amount of purified water one my make per year is 5L. Probably not all that helpful on brewday.

bum said:
My understanding (received wisdom, not evidence based) is that the legal amount of purified water one my make per year is 5L. Probably not all that helpful on brewday.
Evidence has no place on this forum Bum. Thanks for passing on your received wisdom.

What are you using the dry ice for?

Dave70 said:
What are you using the dry ice for?
That's a "Lite n Easy" box. Mammon might be a fatty - like me :D

JDW81 said:
Evidence has no place on this forum Bum. Thanks for passing on your received wisdom.
Proof vs making shit up.

It's legal to own & use a still of less than 5L capacity, as long as it's not used for producing un-taxed (therefore illegal) alcohol for human consumption.

pnorkle said:
That's a "Lite n Easy" box. Mammon might be a fatty - like me :D
Wow..you guys will eat anything.

Definitive answers to the legal issue of distilling at home can be found on the ATO website here: http://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Excise/In-detail/Alcohol/Spirits/FAQs-for-distillation-equipment-(stills)/

For example:

[quote begins]

Do you need a licence to distil alcohol?
If you want to distil alcohol you must hold an excise manufacturer licence prior to distilling alcohol, regardless of the size or capacity of the still. Licence application forms are available at www.ato.gov.au/excise

What if you want to distil alcohol at home?

If you have a still at home, you must hold an excise manufacturer licence before you can distil alcohol. Excise licences are only granted to applicants who can demonstrate they meet the requirements set out in the Excise Act 1901. These include the need for physically secure premises (to prevent any other person having access to the licensed area), skills and experience in distillation, having professionally calibrated volume and alcoholic strength measuring equipment and an approved record keeping system.
You must pay excise duty on any alcohol you produce. The current rate is in excess of $71 per litre of alcohol. For example, on a 700ml bottle of vodka at an alcoholic strength of 40% the excise duty would be approximately $20 per bottle.
attention.png

The distillation of alcohol is controlled by excise law and administered by us. If you distil alcohol without a licence you will have committed an offence, and penalties may apply.

[ends]

Edit: added more quoted text.

^ Like I said, as long as it's not used for consumable (ie. exciseable) alcohol, it's legal to own/operate a still of less than 5Litre capacity.

Folks may have also noticed stills/condensers & essences in their LHBS. It's legal to buy/sell these items, as long as you're not intending to use them for actually making consumable spirits (just as it's legal to buy/sell dope-smoking paraphernalia, but not possess the burnable stuff itself). :blink:

Doncha just love the vagaries of the laws involving drugs & alcohol in this country????

MartinOC said:
(just as it's legal to buy/sell dope-smoking paraphernalia,........ :blink:
Not anymore -_-

breakbeer said:
Not anymore -_-
Since when? 'Don't do the stuff myself, so I haven't noticed the bong-shops closing down en-masse in Vic.

I really should get out more..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back