Peroxide Sanitiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyatt_girth

Reaction score
Heya,

Just wondering if anyone has any info re the length of time that diluted (made up for use) peroxide sanitisers like brewshield (3%??) are effective for ie before it breaks down to oxy and water. I usually keep a spray-bottle of whatever is left on brewday to use should I need it later. My uneducated paranoia brings me to discarding it after a day from fear that it has become no good to sanitise with, and making up more just for a single use. Anyone know how long it's good for?

Also, how long does it need to be in contact with a surface to do the job? My usual is to just mix in one bottle and transfer to the next, quick invert or two and transfer to the next and so on. For my brewing gear and fermenter it's a similar amount of time - long enough to ensure all surfaces have been wet completely. Does this sound OK?
Any help is much appreciated. I would probably have thrown in the towel by now if it wasn't for AHB and the advice of its members. Many thanks to all.

Cheers
Wyatt

Hydrogyn peroxide will break down readily into water and oxygen. Don't keep any made up solution for more than a day or two.

There have been good posts in the past as to how long to keep made up solutions. A search on hydrogen peroxide should yield some good info

Contact time, use 5-10 minutes and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back