Peated Distilling Malt - Roast Belgium

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashin

Reaction score
I'm planning on a Belgium Ale, Roasted, Smoked, Malty yet balanced brew in the morning.

something around (for a 40L batch)

4.5kg Munich 2
2kg Golden Promise
1kg Medium Peated Distilling Malt
1kg Biscuit Malt
0.5kg Roasted Barley (590 EBC)
50g Goldings ~17.2IBU (Home grown flowers, First Wort Hopped)
50gm Hersbruker ~6.3IBU (Home Grown Flowers, 20min)

1.056 --> 1.014
~5.1%

Belgium Ale Yeast 1214 (~800ml re-pitched sediment)

The question is to brewers who have used Bairds Medium Peated Distilling Malt, I want enough peat flavour/aroma to play a part in the beer but not to over power it. I would switch a roo with the Golden promise if more peated malt was to be used. WHAT LEVEL OF PEATED MALT WHOULD BE RECOMMENDED (I thought initially 2kg but after doing a small (400g mash 1kg:2.5L) have pulled back to a 1kg).

I was playing with blending a very bananna'ry Belgiun double with a dry stout and found a level of balance between the roast and the bannana. Add a slight smokey'ness and a tad of munich malt and i'm in heaven.

:party:

Well I did a peated porter with 150g in 20L... Nothing. Not even a hint. I have however cracked the perfect clone recipe for Tooheys Old (somehow!)

1kg however may be a bit too much...not sure though!

Cheers

yeah I've heard you only need extremely small amounts of peated malt, like a handful.

Personally I'd steer clear of it, it's not meant for brewing, and I've read a few big names recommend against ever using it in beer (jamil and john come to mind).

With 25kg on hand for the Obvious purpose, i wanted to play with it in a brew on the side line, a smoked touch to a roasted, belgium ale. HTFU to naysayers, just experience on % inclusion is all that is asked.

:) 's all round,

sammus i've also heard recommendations against its use in beer as compared to beach wood smoked malt, but there are some very prominent breweries in Belgium and germany that use peated smoked malt.

Leys stay on topic and not just try to rack up the post count (sorry).

;)

yeah I've heard you only need extremely small amounts of peated malt, like a handful.

Personally I'd steer clear of it, it's not meant for brewing, and I've read a few big names recommend against ever using it in beer (jamil and john come to mind).

With 25kg on hand for the Obvious purpose, i wanted to play with it in a brew on the side line, a smoked touch to a roasted, belgium ale. HTFU to naysayers, just experience on % inclusion is all that is asked.

sammus i've also heard recommendations against its use in beer as compared to beach wood smoked malt, but there are some very prominent breweries in Belgium and germany that use peated smoked malt.

;)

Seriously I'd use 100g-150g and see what you think of that.
Worst comes to worst and it's not that strong now worried you'll still have a drinkable brew, the peat smoked malt is so much more potent than the weyerman rauch malt. I used 150g in a scottish 80 and it was over the top, subtlety but still present would be 100g in my book.
Check out other recipes that have used peated malt and I think you'll find 100g goes a long way.
Q

;)

Just incase you were thinking 'ooh i want a smoked belgian' and decided to try it on a whim. All well and good if you've got plenty of the stuff kicking around and its experiment. Might I suggest a small batch for such an experiment? I'm just saying be careful, because it took me a few goes to realise that I wasn't doing anything wrong, its just that I can't stand the taste of peated malt in a beer. Just wanted to let you know to be careful, you don't have to get all upset that I didn't enthusiastically agree with the idea. <_<

I'm planning on a Belgium Ale, Roasted, Smoked, Malty yet balanced brew in the morning.

something around (for a 40L batch)

4.5kg Munich 2
2kg Golden Promise
1kg Medium Peated Distilling Malt
1kg Biscuit Malt
0.5kg Roasted Barley (590 EBC)
50g Goldings ~17.2IBU (Home grown flowers, First Wort Hopped)
50gm Hersbruker ~6.3IBU (Home Grown Flowers, 20min)

1.056 --> 1.014
~5.1%

Belgium Ale Yeast 1214 (~800ml re-pitched sediment)

The question is to brewers who have used Bairds Medium Peated Distilling Malt, I want enough peat flavour/aroma to play a part in the beer but not to over power it. I would switch a roo with the Golden promise if more peated malt was to be used. WHAT LEVEL OF PEATED MALT WHOULD BE RECOMMENDED (I thought initially 2kg but after doing a small (400g mash 1kg:2.5L) have pulled back to a 1kg).

I was playing with blending a very bananna'ry Belgiun double with a dry stout and found a level of balance between the roast and the bannana. Add a slight smokey'ness and a tad of munich malt and i'm in heaven.

:party:

I used the peated malt in a Scottish Strong Ale at the rate of 0.50% and could taste / smell it with out a problem. I reckon at your rate at just under 10% of the malt bill may be a little over the top.

BYB

I've heard similar things about not using it in beer, but if you've got it you might as well experiment. you could always try making malt liquor :)

full retraction sammus, mental note "restrain use of drunk fingers" very similar to use of peated malt.

BYB, Quintrex - cheers, I've pulled this back to 1% of bill. I dont mind if it comes through quite noticably, just don't want to be floored by it. This will be a fairly aromatic brew at anyrate with the 1214 and roast barley.

Here to beer

full retraction sammus, mental note "restrain use of drunk fingers" very similar to use of peated malt.

BYB, Quintrex - cheers, I've pulled this back to 1% of bill. I dont mind if it comes through quite noticably, just don't want to be floored by it. This will be a fairly aromatic brew at anyrate with the 1214 and roast barley.

Here to beer

So how did it go?

I'm planning a smoky stout which I'll put down in a couple of weeks (need to clear fermenter space first) along these lines:

Ingredients: (for a 28L batch)
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 23.1 %
1.75 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 15.4 %
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 25.6 %
2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 20.5 %
0.50 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 5.1 %
0.50 kg Peat Smoked Malt (5.5 EBC) Grain 5.1 %
0.50 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 5.1 %
50.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 40.9 IBU
30.00 gm Progress [6.30%] (40 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
25.00 gm Cluster [7.00%] (20 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (5 min) (Hops -
15.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-StHops -
7.00 gm Licoric root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) Yeast-Ale

Might still tweak the hops a bit, but I really don't want the smoke to be the dominant character, just sort of a "memory of walking into a peat heated Irish pub in winter" kinda thing. Going by what I've read/been able to find online anywhere from "zip" to "lots" is the go, which I have to say isn't very helpful info! :D

edit: I just figured out what I could smell in my malt storeroom, it's the still vacuum sealed bag of Bairds medium peated malt! :wub:

Latest posts

Back