Paulyman's Adventures in All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marksy said:
What power supply are you using for this pump? Does it smell like its burnt? What are the power requirements of the pump?
I'm using a Mathos controller, which provides 12v to the pump. Doesn't smell like it's burnt. Both pumps that have died (number 3 went today after 2 brews), have died at the same point. I get through the step mash fine using the Mathos controller. The pump turns off at 94 degrees, after the boil it doesn't turn back on ever again.

I've taken both pumps apart and cleaned them. I've rewired them as I thought I'd just done a dodgy job on the wiring.

Giving up on LBP's for now, it's cheaper to just by a Kaixan and power it independently of the Mathos controller, hopefully that will last.

Completed 2 brews over the last two days keeping things simple and sticking with just a 66 degree mash, I wanted to make sure my boil efficiency issues were sorted.

First up was an APA with a 60 minute mash, I forgot to mash out as I got side tracked cooking dinner, so came in under with 56% brewhouse efficiency, not a good start. Second was a Pacific Ale clone, had more time so did a 90 minute mash, remembered to mash out and came in at 66% efficiency. Came in just 3 points under and 1L under on my predicted 72% brewhouse efficiency.

Kept a very close eye on my volumes today. Noticed my boil off may have increased to 5L over the hour. So have adjusted my equipment profile in BeerSmith.

I'm going to do a Rye Saison on sunday hopefully. Will repeat the 90 minute mash and remember to mash out. I will also keep an close eye on my volumes again. If I can nail them I'll be happy.

Yeah that sucks about the pumps, perhaps you ones you are being sold are cheap china rip offs. They are meant to be rated to 105c. If you get another one, perhaps try a dry run and see if it happens again.

As with your efficiency, are you saying you`re getting 66% brewhouse efficiency? The mash efficiency is worked out on another tab when making a recipe. The brewhouse eff, is your eff into the FV before pitching yeast, and you then use that to help work out how much ingredients to use when making recipes. I think I set mine to 60%.

marksy.

Thanks Marksy.

Yeah that's my brew house efficiency. I'm keeping it at the 72% cheeky peak recommended at the moment and just keeping an eye on the data in a spreadsheet. Once I've got a few more brews under my belt and assuming I've got my volumes dialled in I'll look at the average and adjust.

In other news I've ordered a magnetic drive pump.

Completed a Rye Saison today.

60% pale
20% rye
20% wheat

Expecting 7% ABV

Moteueka to 30IBU.

Ran it at 66% brew house efficiency and hit all my numbers! Think I might have dialled my system in, will wait for a few more brews before I call on that one though.

The new magnetic drive pump is awesome! Got a great whirlpool at the end, cooled the brew to 20 degrees in 2/3 the time.

I followed a step mash profile for a dry saison: 55/63/68/72/78 for 10/50/10/10/10. Unfortunately at the end of the boil I could smell burnt toast and got a real astringent taste in the wort. When I'd drained into the fermentor and lifted the false bottom the copper element was black. The over the side that went in after mash out was fine.

Bugger. I'll let it ferment out, but I think I'll ge tossing this one. :-(

Did an IPA today.

80% Pale
15% Vienna
5% JW Light Crystal.

20g Mosaic @ FWH
45g Mosaic @ 20
35g Mosaic @ 10

Did a simpler 64/67/72/78 schedule this time for 30/60/20/10. No Scorched element, so it must have been the rye and the protein rest that did it last time.

Fermenting with WLP001 (thanks Barleyman) at 18C.

I am aiming for a 100g dry hop with Mosaic when I cold crash.

Was expecting an OG of 1072 for 23L and got 1070 with 24L, pretty well hit my numbers.

I also adjusted the kP and windowsize on my Mathos controller today. I had noticed it was bouncing up to a degree either side of the set point for the last few brews. Much more stable today.

Brewed a 36L batch of Pratty1's Snoweater ale on the weekend. Hit the numbers perfectly, did my first proper sparge using the bucket in a bucket technique.

Also made a starter from a vial of WLP002, my first. Pitched the starter on sunday, was looking good within a few hours. Went to work on monday and returned in the afternoon to see a high krausen mark, already! Checked the gravity today and it's done!

Tastes fantastic, can't wait to dry hop, cold crash and put into the bottle.

Will be washing the yeast from this one, another first for me.

Next up, Pratty1's Amber Ale, might reuse this slurry.

Latest posts

Back