Paulyman's Adventures in All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulyman

Reaction score
So I completed my first all grain brew today on my new BIAB rig. I setup the Mathos controller and recirc system with a little brown pump. Will eventually plump it all in and make a nice stand to house all the bits. Bit for now it works.

The day went pretty well, considering the other half suddenly felt we HAD to go shopping and it HAD to be now. So I changed to a 30 minute boil rather than a 60 minute, turned the unit off and left the recirculating immersion chiller I made do its thing while we went out shopping for an hour.

Came back to 26 degree wort,not bad considering I didn't use any ice.

The one problem I have had is that the little brown pump no longer works, on brew 1. It worked beautifully throughout the day, but when I went to run it during cleaning, nothing.

Good stuff! If you cut the boil short, just be aware that there may be a number of impacts: lower bitterness than you had planned, DMS (especially if you used pilsner malt as the base), and a lower OG/higher volume due to less boil off.
Those things and the pump problem aside, sounds like it went well & it's not a wagon you're likely to fall off.

Have a squiz at this Pauly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zod61poTNU8&list=UU-jeJxW4oElBEwVkZNvOvug

Prince Imperial said:
Good stuff! If you cut the boil short, just be aware that there may be a number of impacts: lower bitterness than you had planned, DMS (especially if you used pilsner malt as the base), and a lower OG/higher volume due to less boil off.
Those things and the pump problem aside, sounds like it went well & it's not a wagon you're likely to fall off.
I used BrewMate to adjust the hop schedule, there was the OG/higher volume issue. But looking at BrewMate and adjusting the recipe to match, I hit the numbers I was supposed to, excellent.

I'll take possibly a bit of DMS over the wrath of my partner. Besides she has to drink it to, so if it's too bad it gives me an "I told you so". ;-)

wereprawn said:
Have a squiz at this Pauly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zod61poTNU8&list=UU-jeJxW4oElBEwVkZNvOvug
Just opened it up, pretty clean in there actually. Followed through the suggestion of using my finger to move the impellor in hot water. Put it back together and hooked it up. Still no joy.

paulyman said:
I used BrewMate to adjust the hop schedule, there was the OG/higher volume issue. But looking at BrewMate and adjusting the recipe to match, I hit the numbers I was supposed to, excellent.

I'll take possibly a bit of DMS over the wrath of my partner. Besides she has to drink it to, so if it's too bad it gives me an "I told you so". ;-)
Yes, you have to weigh these things up and avoid partner wrath. After cirrhosis of the liver it's the leading cause of home brewer retirement. I give plenty of prior notice and brew after the kids are asleep to minimise this! Sounds like you mitigated the ill effects of the shorter boil well, so should come up a treat!

Just had a try 4 days in, wow. All grain is much better.

If you have a multimeter you could put it across the cables of the pump(disconnect the pump first) to see if the motor is open circuit (broken) .if it is good you may have to make sure you are definately getting a 12v supply to it (from memory they are 12v) as it may even be an issue with your power supply or controller output to the pump.

Still no joy on the pump, will take it to work on Monday and check it with a multimeter.

Second brew on the rig today, will just be a standard BIAB. Will concentrate on the numbers today and begin dialling this thing in.

The brew was going to be a Rye Saison, but the local didn't have any Rye, so it's just a regular Saison with Sarachi Ace.

Just completed the brew day.

Hit my predicted volumes perfectly, So I think I have dialed in my boil off rate and losses to trub. But I was 10 points short on both my pre-boil gravity and my predicted SG, efficiency a poor 51%. Added some LDME to compensate.

I think I know where I went wrong? I calculated my strike temp right, but forgot to turn off the element so overshot by a few degrees (supposed to be 66 hit 69 before I noticed the mistake) and then it took half an hour to get it stable again. Left it for a 90 minute mash in total to give it a chance to fix itself the best it could, although I think the damage was already done.

Won't make that mistake again.

Picked up a new pump and wired it together this morning. Did another brew, trying a Hefeweizen this time.

This is the third brew on the system, two with recirc and one without. I'm noticing a pattern.

My pre-boil efficiency is pretty good, I've been an average of 3 points under gravity and slightly over in volume. So a bit of tweaking to go there, but I'm in the ball park.

My post-boil gravity however, has been 10 points low consistently with my post-boil volume between 1-2L over my predicted estimates in beer smith.

I'm thinking I'm not getting a decent rolling boil on the new rig. It looks like its rolling though.

you can change the boil off rate in beersmith mine is way over what beersmith default is. It depends on how your heating it and the width of the pot as I have a 80lt pot it boils off more then a 50lt keg say. It will take you a few brews to dial all the losses and evaporation in but if you record all the volumes alone the way you can work it out and have a average after a few brew.

Thanks Kelbygreen,

I have boil off set at 4L per hour at the moment, looking at the last 3 brews I seem to be averaging closer to 3L per hour. I'll adjust and see how it goes next brew.

Each time I run the system I've recorded the same thing, three brews in. Can get to boiling with the lid on no dramas, but drops to 96-98 with the lid off! Still a bit of movement on the surface but I wouldn't say its rolling, more simmering.

First thought was that my digital temperature probe was out a bit, but I tested it against another analogue thermometer and they matched all the way from 25 to 100. At least I know my mash temperature is good I suppose.

I tried floating a large stainless bowl on the surface during a test run on the weekend, with some foil floats, stayed stable at 98 to 99 but still not boiling! Much more of a bubbling simmer though.

The element is supposed to be 2200W but I'm now pretty sure it's actually 2000W, I just don't think it has the power since its a fairly wide pot. So i've ordered a 2400W over the side element from BeerBelly to see how that goes, being a tad stronger it will hopefully get me over the line.

If that works then I'll use the internal element for mashing and mash out, then switch elements while draining the bag. Fun times.

Now destroyed the second LBP. This one always leaked out of the inlet, no matter how much plumbers tape I seem to put one. Tried loosening the fitting and the pump inlet disintegrated in my hand. Not seeing why everyone raves about these things at the moment. Let's hope the third one lasts a few more brews.

On a positive note. I've run the system with both elements for a total of 4600W in a 50L pot and I get a 1.2 degree rise per minute. Not bad and now get a vigorous boil. Hooray!

So I can now easily make double batches, yay.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420527352.084459.jpg

So I'm attaching the 3rd pump directly to the brew pot. Less risk of it getting knocked over and damaged. Also much easier to attach and less hose required.

Next brew I might offset the head though so that I can gravity drain if needed.

Just to throw it out there. The LBPs seem to require the correct polarity. If you get it the wrong way around, they don't run.

What power supply are you using for this pump? Does it smell like its burnt? What are the power requirements of the pump?

Back