Parallel counter flow wort chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nosco said:
Missed em. I probably thought they were the round sort.
I've got some stainless ones (4 from memory) that I'm not intending to use anytime soon if you're interested. Each length is about 2.5m long. A mate of mine could chill an 80L batch in about 30 mins.

Sorry, I thought I had a photo of them, but can't find it right now.

Yeah ive seen the video of that one on Youtube. The guy has a really nice setuo and brewery. Ill give that thread a read.

MartinOC i might take you up on that offer. If you have a pic maybe send my a pm with a price and ill see what i can do. It might take a while till i have some cash though.

Now we're back-up & running on the new=look AHB....

I leave for work in the dark & get home in the dark, so it might have to wait til the weekend for photo's. Leave it with me.

For those who have PM'd & emailed about my SS PCF chillers, here's a few photo's:

DSCN1827.JPG
DSCN1826.JPG
DSCN1825.JPG

These are professionally made industrial items that a mate of mine scored from a job (an engineer who used to design & install food-processing plants). The pipe in the foreground is just a SS return-pipe.

The tape measure shows a metre, so each of these units is about 3m long.

My mate had them mounted on the wall in his brewery in a slight zig-zag to ensure draining of the whole line & pumped from his boiler, through the chillers & back into the kettle to create a whirlpool. 80L of boiling wort down to pitching temp. in about 30 mins.

Obviously, being SS, they're not as efficient at heat transfer as copper & really need to be used in a "bank" for best effect, but they certainly do work well.

Sadly thats out of my league :(. Hopefully it will find a good home. Thanks Martin for the offer.

MartinOC, that is one fine looking dog in your third photo.

I have bought all the copper fittings and copper tube. I have cut the tube up and tomorrow I will start the process of soldering it up. In all, 6 meters of 1/2 inch and 6 metres of 3/4. 16 reducing tee joints.

I have a pump which I will swing into action. Need to buy some silicon tube and away I go. Should be a good project.

See you, Anthony

Yeah, that's Max, our 1yo Bull Arab puppy. Scares the hell out of anyone that meets him for the first time, but for a dog bred for pig hunting, he's a real pussycat. Almost lost him to a Tiger snake a couple of months back (we lost our Kelpie to the same snake). Great dog.

Good luck with your project.

Anyway, back on topic....

Nosco had first-dibs on the chiller array & has pulled the pin, so if anyone else is looking for something with SERIOUS chilling capability, it's here.

PM me if you're interested.

I was going to build this in two parts 6mtrs out and 6mtrs back to reduce the amount of parts required , but it would take up a lot of wall space.

This build is connected in a one continuous loop for the wort.
The water is split into two loops to use cold water on a short run, the valves control the flow of water on the hot side out.

How did you join the threaded PVC to the T peices Two Crows? I got my bits from Bunnings. I couldnt get them to fit so I had to "modify" them (hack them smaller on a bench drill). Ive only done a few a a tester. Seems to work ok so far.

I purchased 20Mi x 15 pvc conectors, pvc cement , and cut 40mm stubs of tube to join to the tee pieces. The threaded pvc has a socket on the backside to join to the tube.

That looks great

It really tempts my want to make something inclination.

Hmmmmm

Whats your plan? Use it to recirculate to chill or chill in one pass to fermenter at ferment temp?

Anyone have any comment on the difference a chilled late hop gives versus a no chilled and dry hop?

I will first experiment with recirculating the cooling wort thru a whirlpool inlet back into the kettle, hoping to leave the break behind.

Also thinking about putting a 3" triclover and valve at the base of my kettle to dump the trub and then pump into the fermenter.

Tested the CFC today and I am happy with no leaks, set up my three vessels with quick connect fittings.
Just have to finish my stc1000, HLT temp control C/W relay to take to power load of the unit and pump switch mounted in a small cabinet. So, should be able to put down its first all grain Sunday morning. The HLT should be up to temp with a digital timer by 0700.

Exercise bike and bench press to do a work out with while waiting and cat to ignore me , should be good.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 162
Be carfull, don't run boiling water through the copper without coolant flow in the pvc.
I did and the pvc went soft and fell apart

Ran the chiller today from boiling to 18.8 degrees in 35 minutes recirculating the wort back into the kettle.

Used 60 liters of water. I believe that I could easily reduce the water used as I have two points of cold water contact.The water out was hardly warm.

Latest posts

Back