Pale Ale Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickos

Reaction score
Just about to put my fourth brew down, and absolutely loving it. I want to do a Pale Ale (coopers APA) with tasty citrus flavours. Would I be right to use Citra hops, boiled?? Anyone know of a tasty recipe?
Was also thinking about putting orange rind in my hops boil. Will probably use ldme in my boil too.
Any help would appreciated

citra is one my favorite hops. I wouldnt do orange rind although I never have but citra has enough kick in it. id put prob 35g in at 10mins and about 20g in dry hopped. man that would be tasty I would make it out of 70% malt and 30% dex so 700g malt to 300g dex if you use 1kg but id boost it up to about 1kg malt to 400g dex

Citra :icon_drool2:

I would do as kelby suggested and a bit at 10 mins and then about 1g/L as a dry hop. Will definitely have the citrusy/passionfruit kick and no need for the rind.

citra is one my favorite hops. I wouldnt do orange rind although I never have but citra has enough kick in it. id put prob 35g in at 10mins and about 20g in dry hopped. man that would be tasty I would make it out of 70% malt and 30% dex so 700g malt to 300g dex if you use 1kg but id boost it up to about 1kg malt to 400g dex

That sounds good. Think I will give this a crack. Thanks for the info

Ive just done a Ag BIAB Pale Ale and Im trying to copy the Stone and Wood pacific ale or the Mornington Breweries Pale ale which both have a very nice citrus passionfruit taste.

I copied Dameons sticks and stones recipe here

Sticks and stones

But I also dry hopped with 20 grams galaxy on day 4 and then dry hopped with another 10 grams galaxy and 10 grams amarillo on day 7. I might have over done it but I was looking for that real punch in the face citrus passionfruit taste. Ill let you know how it went.

Ive just done a Ag BIAB Pale Ale and Im trying to copy the Stone and Wood pacific ale or the Mornington Breweries Pale ale which both have a very nice citrus passionfruit taste.

I copied Dameons sticks and stones recipe here

Sticks and stones

But I also dry hopped with 20 grams galaxy on day 4 and then dry hopped with another 10 grams galaxy and 10 grams amarillo on day 7. I might have over done it but I was looking for that real punch in the face citrus passionfruit taste. Ill let you know how it went.

Hi Truman

How did this go?
I took my folks who both aren't beer drinkers to bridge rd rental and they loved the passion fruit taste of the pale ale.
I want to make something close the main aim is a big passionfrut taste.

I would be wary of using too much galaxy. I've had best results with big passionfruit by using galaxy with citra and cascade. Galaxy by itself gets quite harsh and while there's passionfruit there, there also a herbaceous sharpness that's difficult to describe apart from "harsh hoppiness".

With citra/cascade/galaxy in equal amounts in PAs (IPAs especially) you get a "ripe" passionfruit taste rather than an unripe one if that makes sense.

Hi Truman

How did this go?
I took my folks who both aren't beer drinkers to bridge rd rental and they loved the passion fruit taste of the pale ale.
I want to make something close the main aim is a big passionfrut taste.

If you are after a big passionfruit taste, look no further than my extract version of the Stone and Wood Pacific -

I did this one about 6 months back, did an A/B comparison with the real thing, I was about 95% close. Very enjoyable drop.

1 can Coopers liquid light malt
1 kg dry wheat malt
300g dextrose

5L boil with 500g of the wheat malt in the boil

5g Galaxy @30 mins
15g Galaxy @15 mins
15g Galaxy @5 mins
15g Galaxy @0 mins

US05 yeast. (23L batch)

15g Galaxy dry hopped on day 4.

This beer didn't last long, and due to all the wheat malt it was ready to drink in only 2 and a half weeks.

I am new to brewing, but did make a cracker accidentally (i am sure i have the wrong style or something, but it tasted GREAT, and shared with a lot of mega drinkers who loved it too). Its a nice passionfruit aroma, with a nice med bitterness and slight citrus flavour...might help, might not :)

20l
Morgans Unhopped Extra Pale tin 1.5kg
Wheat Malt extract 1.0

Citra 20g 60min
Amarillo 12g 30min
Galaxy 12g 30min
us05

Citrus tasting hops (to my palate):

Grapefruit:

Centennial and cascade

Marmalade:

Challenger

Orange:

Tettnanger and East Kent goldings (subtle and some people find other flavours in there that may not be what you're after)

Lemon:

Hallertauer (as above)

Mandarin: Styrian Goldings (as above), some seasons of amarillo (as above).

If you use the rind as you say, make sure you actually only take the coloured paret of the skin (or zest). The white 'pith' contains a lot of bitter comounds that may make your beer taste plain nasty. I'd go cascade/centennial or cascade and challenger. Never mixed cascade and challenger but I reckon they'd work a treat. Might need to work out an EAPA

Just about to put my fourth brew down, and absolutely loving it. I want to do a Pale Ale (coopers APA) with tasty citrus flavours. Would I be right to use Citra hops, boiled?? Anyone know of a tasty recipe?
Was also thinking about putting orange rind in my hops boil. Will probably use ldme in my boil too.
Any help would appreciated

Hey Mickos

Have to agree with JimmyTheHuman. My best brew so far has been a Mid Strength based on the Coopers APA kit.
Recipe
Coopers APA
Wheat Dry Malt 700g
20g Citra @ 7 mins
25g Amarillo @ 5 mins
US05 7g
OG = 1.030
FG = 1.003

I based this on a recipe from TonyW on the Coopers Forum, I call mine Mornington Pale Ale. I guarantee if you make it it won't last long at all.

Latest posts

Back