Oxygen Options In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested to know what else is required for a working system.

What kind of "quantity" are they talking?
How hard will it be to find interest for replacements after the initial buy?

If the cylinders last ~10 brews, they will be an on-going requirement for anyone that adopts them. We all brew at different rates, which would mean subsequent buys will be smaller (or buying more each, which could work).

I would expect craftbrewer to put approximately 100% markup on them to make them worth their while. Would they still be an attractive proposition at that price?

At $32.20, I'm definitely interested.

OK - the other stuff you would need is basically "The oxynater" available from such places as http://www.northernbrewer.com/aeration.html or http://morebeer.com/view_product/16604/

As far as quality - this is the cylinder morebeer, the brewing network, white labs all reccomend - I'm gussing its ok!

Ongoing costs would be, as you say, $32 every ten brews - for me that means a cylinder every year or so - I'd buy two and get them in muliples as such.

The craftbrewer markup is a fair piont - however, the price I am getting is a discounted retail - I would assume the place I'm going through would be getting 100% markup, so craftbrewer's price could end up being similar - I can't buy wholesale, so this is all conjecture, until Ross chimes in. From my perspective, I'd rather spend $35 with Ross than $32 with the mob I rang.

M

Ahh.. I assumed it was a wholesale price. I totally agree that if they can do that sort of price, craftbrewer hypothetically should be able to get somewhere near that. And I know who I'd rather send my dollars to.

$3 a brew is to much for me now but I maybe interested further down the line.

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a fairly big experiment to try to determine the efficacy of various common homebrew mechanisms for aeration, looking at getting quantitative results for variables including mechanisms for O2 introduction, time of exposure etc.

It's taking a while to run, as I want to make sure that all thr controls are valid and the experiements are repeatable, but it will be interestingn to get the final results out.

Once I've finished I'll be writing it up and will post some results

Andy

Andy,

Great! I look forward to the results! Have you read the stuff from whitelabs posted by Jye above? The link is posted above anyway.

Any preliminary results?

M

As always, Ross (craftbrewer) has been listening to us and is now on the case - stay tuned! I'm sure he will post here once he has any info for us!

M

Hi guys,

Not strictly related to beer but below is how we brew up yeast at the winery I work for and thought it might be of interest.

We propagate our yeast cultures using 1kg of yeast in 10,000 litres of grape juice, and simply aerate them with filtered compressed air throttled back via a flowmeter. Delivery into the juice is via an airstone - albeit a bloody big one! When the yeast start to take off they lap the air up and go bezerk.

Once cell numbers are high enough the main juice tank gets inoculated with a percentage (around 2-3%) of this yeast & after the ferment is well underway we aerate this too simply by mixing the tank with a pump with a venturi stuck in-line sucking air.

O2 is the real deal but air does work extremely well and we only get the odd slow/stuck ferment - Plus it's free!

Cheers
Ben

M,

No results yet - the family's been really ill the last week, and I've got to get a belgian duibbel racked into the keg before I get really started, but it shouldn't be long now.A lot of the work will have been done by the end of the weekend I'm hoping, then the write-up :(

Andy

Guys,
I thought I would google for oxygen cylinders in Australia and see what I could find.

:excl: I came across a safety alert from the TGA relating to Oxygen regulator fires resulting from incorrect use of CGA 870 seals. If you are contemplating using oxygen cylinders, it might be worth a few minutes to read up on the fires caused by reusing "single use" washers between the regulator and the cylinder.

Safety Alert: Oxygen regulator fires resulting from incorrect use of CGA 870 seals :blink:

Necro..

I notice that bunnings have quite large O2 tanks.. can these be fitted with an inline filter and used?

Latest posts

Back