Oxy Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
Apols if this has been done to death, but I can't find an answer by searching.

I'd like to use oxygen for aeration of wort prior to pitching.
The yanks can get benzomatic bottles.
I understand we can't get them here, is that right?
What can we do, without renting a bottle from BOC et al. ???

Oxy bottles are oxy bottles, do you really want to use ungraded bottles. Dont forget you are going to be consuming this. Lets be frank renting bottles is not that expensive.

60$for refil about 110$ a year to rent, now you get a nice clean bottle and food grade CO2. Common guys stop trying to be such tight arses and buy the right gear if you want to aerate use nitrogen, it makes up 70% of the atomosphere and is cheap to refil.

Any decent keg setup does not run busted arse bottles,

I'm not with you here danial, what's an ungraded bottle? And O2 != CO2.

Yorg,

Screwtop tells me that apparently you can get cans of O2. But he didn't or wouldn't tell me where to get them. He hinted that Ross (Craftbrewer) might be looking to stock them. Obviously transporting pressured gas about the place is tricky.

I'm interested too.

regards,
Scott

danial, I just reread your post. I think you've missed the point about oxygen. Yeast use oxygen to reproduce during their growth phase. If you want a good fermentation and a good beer you need to ensure your yeast has enough of the stuff. You can use pure O2 to quickly saturate your wort before pitching. Or you can aerate with plain old filtered air (21% O2) for much longer and try and contain the foam in your fermenter.

regards,
Scott

Apols if this has been done to death, but I can't find an answer by searching.

I'd like to use oxygen for aeration of wort prior to pitching.
The yanks can get benzomatic bottles.
I understand we can't get them here, is that right?
What can we do, without renting a bottle from BOC et al. ???
Yorg, you only need to ask the question once! see this one for your answer http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=281003

How can you aerate with nitrogen?

Are we talking about oxygenating here? If so, as far as you put in a .22 micron sterile filter inline, any grade of oxygen will do. I hear maybe Bunnings, or other plumbing / welding suppliers do carry Benzomatic bottles.

If we're talking CO2 for carbonating, food grade is best, but the discussion's been done to death that apparently, in Aus, all CO2 refilling done is food-grade.

MFS

Latest posts

Back