Over Attenuative Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Black Labb.
Currently the plan is to shorten the 10min rests to 5, ditch the 62 completely, and do the saccharine rest for 45 and see if that changes much. I'll still keep the 52, as I believe it gives great head, but it's up for the chop at some point just to see what happens.

Is the 1011 beer too thin or are you just not happy with the numbers?

Definately too thin. Still drinkable, but not what I wanted from it.

Try a short, high mash and adjust from there. 30 mins at 68-70, 72 for 10. If that's too full, either drop the temp or add in a 5-10 min rest at 64.
Tweak to preference. My stepped beers are mostly 1012 with a balance between dry and full bodied that I like but it's about preference.

Sounds like a plan. Would you keep the 52 degree rest? I was thinking 52/5, 6*/30, 72/10, 78/10?

I've been plagued with this problem for yonks... Most of beers turn out too dry with what I'd been doing, which seems to make them quite one dimensional and have a harsh bitterness. I'm splitting hairs somewhat, most have been quite well recieved by those that have tasted them. Although they might just be being polite!

I do a 55 rest for all beers (and a 72). However for yours I reckon eliminate variables and just do single infusion, 70 degrees, 30 minutes and work from there.

55 and 72 help head retention but hr is not what you are trying to fix.

You could also try keeping your crystal malts out of the mash except for the last 15 minutes, also try upping the % of crystal malts.

manticle said:
I do a 55 rest for all beers (and a 72). However for yours I reckon eliminate variables and just do single infusion, 70 degrees, 30 minutes and work from there.

55 and 72 help head retention but hr is not what you are trying to fix.
Sounds perfectly reasonable but probably a bit big of a step for my (overly cautious) shoes.

Next brew up is a Black IPA keg filler I'm doing for club night. I'll shorten up the whole mash a bit and do a 52/5, 65/30, 72/10, 78/10 schedule for this one and see if it delivers. Incidentally it's the same OG and yeast as my red IIPA which suffers from the same over attenuation issues, which should at least tell me if I'm heading in the right direction. If this step does not produce the desired result, I'll return to the Amber Ale with a short, high mash and see what happens.

Cheers for the input.

Well, the black IPA finished well above the predicted of 1.010 at 1.016. I've just re brewed the Amber using a similar schedule and it hit an all time low of 1.008 after only 4 days in the fermenter. It appears to have some way to go too. Got me stuffed.
fraser_john said:
You could also try keeping your crystal malts out of the mash except for the last 15 minutes, also try upping the % of crystal malts.
I think you may be onto something here... the Carafa Special I and Chocolate Malt were added during the 72 rest.

Will try a single infusion on the Amber next up. It's a good thing I like slightly substandard American Ambers!

Back