Open Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davecambo

Reaction score
anyone ferment without a lid with a cloth over the top instead of a lid + airlock???

what are the plus/minus of this technique.

If you're going to do that, I'd suggest glad wrap which you can either just wrap tightly around or use the rubber ring from inside the lid. Alternatively you can tie it on with a bit of twine. That way you can see in and you know the inside will stay clean. How anyone could expect a teatowel to remain clean during weeks of fermentation is beyond me. I've heard about it but it sounds icky. Not sure what the advantage would be either.

wont the glad wrap tear or burst with all the air escaping like when it bubbles out of the airlock? i think thats why people use the material so it can breathe but not let things in....supposedly

wont the glad wrap tear or burst with all the air escaping like when it bubbles out of the airlock? i think thats why people use the material so it can breathe but not let things in....supposedly

I have used the glad wrap method since my second brew and never looked back... Simply put a pin hole or two in the top thus allowing the oxygen a path to escape. As Manticle suggests, use the rubber ring seal from inside the lid as a seal on the wrap. This way as an added bonus if you are new to brewing, you can see what is going on in there during the different stages of fermentation... You may also like to place the (sterilised) hydrometer in the brew when you pitch the yeast. Easy see glad wrap window allows you to see final gravity and therefore bottling time ^_^

Davecambo,

I put 2 pieces of gladwrap over my fermenter, held in place by the large O ring from the lid. I pierce the centre with a needle which is more than enough to let any "bubbles out.

It is such a good seal, that when I bottle, the glad wrap is sucked downwards into the fermenter, but never dislodges.

Also, I had a krausen explosion a year or so ago, krausen was about 6=7 inches proud of the lid, all held in by glad wrap.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

oky doky, im getting a second fermenter from bunnings on thursday. i will definately give this a go. thanks for the info. love this site.

just a 'me too' to the gladwrap gang. i don't do a pinhole - just 2 layers of wrap held in place by the o-ring.

even with wb06 wheat beer explosions and t-58 one-night ferments it's kept a seal.

No. It's a commonly used method and co2 still escapes with no bursting.

I tend to still use the lid but I either insert an airlock covered with glad and a rubber band or else cover the whole lid in wrap which stops anything getting in through the bung.

A teatowel, even if super clean and new, will get festy over time. Glad wrap will give a water proof seal. A cloth won't. If it can let through water molecules then what else can it let through?

Davecambo,

I put 2 pieces of gladwrap over my fermenter, held in place by the large O ring from the lid. I pierce the centre with a needle which is more than enough to let any "bubbles out.

It is such a good seal, that when I bottle, the glad wrap is sucked downwards into the fermenter, but never dislodges.

Also, I had a krausen explosion a year or so ago, krausen was about 6=7 inches proud of the lid, all held in by glad wrap.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

BEC 26,
I hope your right with this.

I do the two layers of gladwrap with O ring. (No problems so far)

At the moment I have a honey porter with So4 that I put down yesterday that is having an absolute party...rising and rising like no other krausen that I have seen.
Scared to go to sleep.

Cheers

Also a convert to the Glad Wrap (tm) way.

Just a question, cause I like to question -

Why do we use 2 layers of glad wrap?​

I figure 1 layer is going to be water proof, plus easier to see through as well. I have traditionally used 2 layers (..."cause that's the way ma Daddy taught me, and the way his Daddy taught him"...) but this time round, have gone with a single layer.

Will report back here if I somehow get a horrible infection or krausen explosion, but somehow, I doubt it.

<conspiracy>Double wrapping was started by the Glad Wrap companies, solely to sell more product to unsuspecting homebrewers</conspiracy>

I think it is just an added precaution to make yourself feel safe. :icon_cheers:

The argument could be made that as the gladwrap is permiable to air, that with time and due to stretching from gases, bacteria etc... could get through into your lovely beer. Especially if left with a hole in it after fermentation has finished.

The risk is low though, and so long as you aren't relying on a single layer of gladwrap for months on end, I think you are fine.

Marlow

Gentlemen, for me the reason to double wrap is simple.

I use Coopers fermenters. A single layer just manages to be held by the O ring. The second layer ensures that the first layer doesn't slip up through the rubber O ring. Just a precautionary measure as far as I am concerned.
(The second layer is at right angles to first)

Cheers

Shouldn't really matter how much you use as long as it's tight and well sealed.

Unless cling wrap suddenly became more expensive than I remember it's a fairly moot point and not worth a debate. Wrap it, wrap it good and don't use tea-towels or cloths.

Gentlemen, for me the reason to double wrap is simple.

I use Coopers fermenters. A single layer just manages to be held by the O ring. The second layer ensures that the first layer doesn't slip up through the rubber O ring. Just a precautionary measure as far as I am concerned.
(The second layer is at right angles to first)

Cheers

This gentleman is correct. A single pass only leaves appox 3-4 cm og gladwrap to hold. Going 90 deg evens this out.

Cheers

BEC 26,
I hope your right with this.

I do the two layers of gladwrap with O ring. (No problems so far)

At the moment I have a honey porter with So4 that I put down yesterday that is having an absolute party...rising and rising like no other krausen that I have seen.
Scared to go to sleep.

Cheers

Svyturys,

How did it get on? :huh:

Did you sleep?? :lol:

The argument could be made that as the gladwrap is permiable to air, that with time and due to stretching from gases, bacteria etc... could get through into your lovely beer.

Marlow

Depending on what the plastic wrap is actually made from it may have some permeability to environmental gases but it is not fully permeable to air.

Also how does bacteria stretch plastic wrap?

Not after an argument as we agree that it's not really an issue with primary fermenting - just curious.

I also only use glad wrap, at least 30 batches by now and no problems. Don't make a whole in it, CO2 will make it's way out and the pressure is just enough to raise the wrap and put a little pressure on it, it doesn't really stretch the wrap as the CO2 will leak out under the rubber band before the pressure build up enough to stretch it.

Just make sure you get the wrap under the rubber ring all around the fermenter, I use Coopers fermenter and the wrap is just 2-3cm wider than the opening pluss the height of the thread so you need to be careful to get it sealed all around.

Main reason I use it is to be able to see what's going on, it's also easy to just lift it a little on one side to drop in your dry hops.

I do the same with my cube for secondary, just some glad wrap and a rubber band over the opening.

Do remember to take it off or at least open it a little when racking or bottling, it will get sucked into your beer otherwise, been there done that :)

double up eh Im on to my third child I think I might double up allso

This is good news - I was given an old fermenter with a cracked lid which can now come out of the shed.

Back