oldest cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh said:
I recently fermented a 2yo cube of Pilsner. Hop profile was still good. Plenty of noble hops coming through. Slightly harsh bitterness but in general the beer was pretty good. I have one cube of barls wedding brew. What date was it brewed again? I'm guessing 2008? Still under negative pressure. Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Let barls know you have one of his wedding brews he’s trying to track them down according to his first post. :)

post-14865-0-52700000-1389861785_thumb.jpg

Black Devil Dog said:
Looks like it was should be buried.

S.E said:
Let barls know you have one of his wedding brews he’s trying to track them down according to his first post. :)
dont need to track them down as I have the list of who was there and who wasn't. Please cease trolling my thread and find a more productive thing to do.
As I've stated several times, there's great differences between what I'm doing here and pressurising a cube. As to the force they rupture with I'll point out that at the time you were talking about carbing said cube to 2.7 volumes which translates in to 20 psi or 137kpa which would be sufficient to injure someone.

S.E said:
That was my point exactly in another thread, using cubes as real ale casks is safer than bottling in glass.
:icon_offtopic: I don't think it is quite that simple. I wasn't suggesting that pressurising cubes was safer than bottles as bottles, especially the heavy duty coopers style and champagne bottles, are designed to hold liquid under pressure, while water cubes aren't. Some cubes might hold a heap of pressure and others may give way with only a small increase. Sure you can get bottle bombs, but I have more faith in appropriately filled and carbonated bottles holding 2-3 volumes of pressure than I do with a plastic cube designed to hold water under no pressure.

JD

Whoa! Also still slightly OT but I had my first ever cube explode/split in multiple places last night/yesterday. No pics but was brewed on sunday. I checked it yesterday morning as I was planning on pitching yeast into it this morning. Doesn't appear to be infected but now my garage smells like old wort. What's left in the cube still tastes fine. Was pretty hot in Brisbane yesterday but we have had way hotter in the last few weeks with no issues.

shouldnt matter mate, Ive got 6 cubes out in the shed and it's been 40'c + for days... *ed with no signs of swelling

When I say the fridge playing up I was thinking of it getting colder than it should have been, water I believe is the only compound that swells up with both heat and cold.

Yob said:
Argh...

Story on FB today of a cube blowing up, blowing the door clean off the fridge and cracking concrete.. pretty damned impressive destruction. ;)

...if I could effing upload effing photo's I'd effing well effing do so and effing show it... effing F

Pretty interested in the older ones being found and fermented also. :)
Yeah this is Mark haha - bendigo brew club fella... must of been under some pressure

That is awesome barls!

My oldest cube is only 6 months, about to pitch it this weekend though, I promise! (I have been saying this every week since it was brewed, I am a lazy mother*SHUT YOUR MOUTH*)

SHAFT!

barls said:
dont need to track them down as I have the list of who was there and who wasn't. Please cease trolling my thread and find a more productive thing to do.
As I've stated several times, there's great differences between what I'm doing here and pressurising a cube. As to the force they rupture with I'll point out that at the time you were talking about carbing said cube to 2.7 volumes which translates in to 20 psi or 137kpa which would be sufficient to injure someone.
Ok but you did say in your op that you would try to track down your wedding cubes didn’t you?

There is not a great difference in what we are both using cubes for. We are both using cubes for purposes they are not really designed for. A no chill cube can become infected and swell until it bursts a cube of ale can also swell till it bursts if it is over primed.

It was not my intention to cause any upset here, I had originally made it clear in my first and second posts that I was just having a good humoured dig and pointing out that no chill cubes could swell and burst or explode like you thought real ale cubes would, warra48 has explained in a pm that my second post and the last sentence in my first post was lost in editing so they may not quite reflect that now.

I have never talked about carbing a cube to 2.7 volumes but if they were carbed to bursting point they will not explode violently and throw shrapnel like you were suggesting in the carbing/conditioning in a cube thread here. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70056-carbingconditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg/

I saw an over primed cube of stout swell almost to bursting point at a club gathering once it had a large stretched gash down one side but there wasn’t enough pressure in it to cause injury if it had split.

I’m not sure if you fully understand the concept of cask conditioning ale, it isn’t under high pressure. Beer has been carbonated and served from non pressure rated containers way before kegs were invented.

I think you are in Sydney right? If you like you can come along to one of our club real ale fests in Wollongong and see for yourself how easy and safe it is. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

What's with all the corrected spelling in this thread?

Is it now against the rules to make the odd spelling mistake? Which rule exactly?

I'm a confirmed spelling nazi, and I fixed the mistakes so we all look well educated, and as a bit of a joke.

I wondered who'd be the first to notice it ! Well done.

:D :blink:

Thenk yoo four ur halp Wora.

Dis thred wil end up on d frig.

Another thing to consider is, when preserving (bottling) fruit for example, shelf life is generally one year before the contents start to deteriorate, keeping wort in a cube would be comparable, what is the point of keeping the wort so long in a cube, I consider a week to be a reasonable length of time.

I can tell you, with a new bub round the place, having the ability to store for months is a god send.. a week is nothing.

Latest posts

Back