oldest cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
I use the cubes for no chill and for cask beer, but I did read just the other day that in America it is advised that any hot liquids being put into the cubes should not exceed 71 degrees C, I initially thought this to be in relation to toxins being leached into the hot liquor from the plastic, but apparently it was referring to getting a safe seal.
Presumably from the pressure of the vacuum as the liquor cools.
I was going to point out to barls that cubes probably weren’t designed for boiling wort either but wasn’t sure of my facts so didn’t bother.

S.E said:
I was going to point out to barls that cubes probably weren’t designed for boiling wort either but wasn’t sure of my facts so didn’t bother.
**** I hate sniping shit comments like this.

jyo said:
**** I hate sniping shit comments like this.
Sorry I didn’t think there was anything wrong with it can you please elaborate?

Isn't this Australia? " she'll be right mate"

When have you ever read on a willow cube "Sure, feel free to dump 23 litres of boiling wort into this cube . That's what they are specifically designed for"

I don't think barls is a moron and I'm sure he's aware of the manufacturer's intended use for cubes.

jyo said:
When have you ever read on a willow cube "Sure, feel free to dump 23 litres of boiling wort into this cube . That's what they are specifically designed for"

I don't think barls is a moron and I'm sure he's aware of the manufacturer's intended use for cubes.
Oh ok, well that was my point cubes aren’t specifically designed for dumping boiling wort into or using as real ale casks but as home brewers we have experimented and found they are great for both these uses.

I don’t think barls is a moron either but I don’t understand his reasoning behind this as he will happily use them for no chill which is just as dangerous by his own reasoning.

S.E said:
I don’t think barls is a moron either but I don’t understand his reasoning behind this as he will happily use them for no chill which is just as dangerous by his own reasoning.
Your edited comment was trolling, as was your post that I initially responded to.

Read up on no chilling mate. People who get swollen cubes have a flawed process. You want to use cubes as a pressure vessel then go ahead but you are in the wrong thread.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out as the longest I've left a cube is a few months.

I have had a few cubes that I've stored for over 6 months. I think one was 9 months. Pale ale, IPA and a stout. No issues with any of them. As long as your processes are good, shouldn't be a problem. I have more trouble keeping them in kegs for too long ;)

lukiferj said:
I have had a few cubes that I've stored for over 6 months. I think one was 9 months. Pale ale, IPA and a stout. No issues with any of them. As long as your processes are good, shouldn't be a problem. I have more trouble keeping them in kegs for too long ;)

I have a half frozen cube sitting in the fridge since May, it acquired a few holes when filling it with boiling wort and hence it looks pretty unsightly.

One day I will take it out of the fridge and reboil the wort.

DSC_8211.JPG

EDIT: added pic

EDIT next day: No need to fix my spelling, Mods, thank you very much! The short off topic comment ("Aussie larrikinism") most likely attracted at least one of the likes, maybe they should be removed as well? Also, why does this post clearly show that it has been edited by a mod, but the post above does not show this although the spelling has also been corrected by a mod (changed stired into stored in above post)?

Also, now it looks like I'm a mod and edited my own spelling and removed off topic comment, although that was Warra48's work.

Argh...

Story on FB today of a cube blowing up, blowing the door clean off the fridge and cracking concrete.. pretty damned impressive destruction. ;)

...if I could effing upload effing photo's I'd effing well effing do so and effing show it... effing F

Pretty interested in the older ones being found and fermented also. :)

---

I didn't originally write 3 dashes but it was edited to be something equally as boring.

Perhaps someone could just delete this for me.

Regards, Bill.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: those emoticons were in response to something funny, unfortunately it then had been edited by a mod and subsequently replaced with three dashes as the spelling police took the fun away.

jyo said:
Your edited comment was trolling, as was your post that I initially responded to.

Read up on no chilling mate. People who get swollen cubes have a flawed process. You want to use cubes as a pressure vessel then go ahead but you are in the wrong thread.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out as the longest I've left a cube is a few months.
My edited comment was not trolling, I’m not sure why it was edited as I thought the bit that was edited out was a valid point and explained that I was the one who had been trolled.

I don’t need to read up on no chill I have been doing it myself along with chilling for many years now and never had a problem with either method.

I have also been using cubes as casks for many years with no problems. I think you may be confusing casks with kegs so perhaps you should read up on casks. Other members on this forum have reported no problems using cubes as kegs but I have never tried so I can’t really comment on that.

Cheers

Florian said:
On a side note, I have a half frozen cube sitting in the fridge since may, it acquired a few holes when filling it with boiling wort and hence it looks pretty unsightly.
One day I will take it out of the fridge and reboil the wort.
attachicon.gif
DSC_8211.JPG
EDIT: added pic
That is truly a smexy picture.Do you just catch the beer as it comes out and drink?

New_guy said:
Does anyone know if "aging" cubes imparts anything flavour wise on the final beer?
It will undoubtedly oxidise, but it will be different to oxidised finished product. I would suggest similar to using old extract or malt. I have never trialled anything similar, but it cannot defy the ever-present laws of science.

Yob said:
Argh...

Story on FB today of a cube blowing up, blowing the door clean off the fridge and cracking concrete.. pretty damned impressive destruction. ;)

...if I could effing upload effing photo's I'd effing well effing do so and effing show it... effing F

Pretty interested in the older ones being found and fermented also. :)
Seriously? What was the cube filled with semtex or something? Admittedly I did do something similar once. What is FB Id like to see that.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
That is truly a smexy picture.Do you just catch the beer as it comes out and drink?
It's wort, not a Cask Ale

:ph34r:

New_guy said:
Does anyone know if "aging" cubes imparts anything flavour wise on the final beer?
I’m sure I saw a thread on ageing wort in cubes here on AHB a while ago.

just found this one and decided i should see how it goes.
1d8437f0-a9d9-4f81-8e90-f982dd2de7a9_zps171266ec.jpg
still sucked in and smelling malty when opened.
i do know there are still 3 cubes from my wedding brew day floating around somewhere which would be older.
might see if i can track one down

I recently fermented a 2yo cube of Pilsner. Hop profile was still good. Plenty of noble hops coming through. Slightly harsh bitterness but in general the beer was pretty good.

I have one cube of barls wedding brew. What date was it brewed again? I'm guessing 2008? Still under negative pressure.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back