Old Yeast And Hops - Use By Date?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavwce

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Getting back into brewing after a few years break.

I still have 6 packets of Saflager W-34/70, 3 packets of saflager s-23, 1 safale us-05 and one twin pack of craft brewer swiss lager yeast.

i also have a few valcuum sealed packs of hops from craft brewer all unopened.

Im not exactly sure how old the yeast and the hops are but the last beer i brewed was in march 2008 so i'm guessing i bought them late in 2007 or early in 2008. They have all been kept in a sealed container in the fridge.

Will they still be ok to use or would i just be better off just buying some new stuff?

cheers,

Gav

I think the hops may well be good in the sealed bags. Some of the hops from suppliers are quite old crops years. You should be able to tell when you open them by the condition and aroma whether or not they are good. They may have lost some bittering over time though.

The yeast is probably well past its best and not worth keeping. I suppose you could try making up a starter with a bit of dme and test for viability. But seeing as dry yeast is relatively cheap probably better to buy some fresh. Can always boil up the old yeast and use as yeast nutrient waste not want not.

Dry yeast in a fridge actually remains viable for years. I would suggest a starter

Hops in a fridge... Hmmmm... If they were frozen there'd be no problem

thanks for the advice guys.

i might have a go at a starter, but i will also pick up some new stuff just in case they're no good.

cheers

Gav

Back