Oh Dear .... Vb & New Wins A Choice "taste Test"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it was one of the hoppy batches that Crackenback have recently done.

'Crackenback' don't actually do anything, other than market a product they have produced for them by a contract brewery. Hardly what I'd call 'cock on the block' stuff. Like Phil Sexton said on radio recently, "Ask from where your beer comes".

"Smaken e' som baken, DELAD!"

Swedish proverb

The taste is like your behind , split

Cannot remember the english version, cause i've had one too many HB's

Mighty christ and the other fella too

It tastes good.

The reason the population don't drink great beer is advertising.

The big brewers got to spend their dough telling us what to drink rather then spending it on making great beer

:party:

this may be a little off topic but before i replied to this thread concerning the following statement (made i assume by choice)

Beer goes stale within three to six months of bottling.
now i realise that there not talking about homebrew here ...and i also realise that commerical brewers must have a saleable product 100% of the time and at the time of sale (not like me who tastes his homebrew and says ...hmm ok maybe a little longer in the bottle will help mellow her out) but is that statement true ...3 to 6 months (nine months according to the aussie brewerys ) ? my father in law worked for xxxx for 30 odd years and at times i had beer out of his stockpile that was at least a year old and never tasted any difference ...mind you ... back then i though xxxx was an ale like the label said ....
so heres the question is it true that commerical beer goes stale (whats that mean anyway please?) and if it does ...why?...
and just to confuse the matter a little more ...the reason i got into homebrew was because my brother gave me his old stock of beer that was at least 2 1/2 years old at the time ...and after drinkinbg it i thought geez this stuffs alright ...
cheers simpletotoro (sorry about the thread jack )

I couldn't give a flying f*#k what choice says or how subjective it is.

My tastebuds rule my "choices",and I obey them.

90% of the time they lead me to my own HB,and thats why I'm here.
Not to work myself into a pointless lather over what the commercial brewers and drinkers are doing and bagging them.

Pour yourself one of your handmade beers,realise how lucky you are and get over it :excl:

You said it all, Mr Bond. :beer:

My take on this is that the results are pretty representative of what I would expect from an expert panel. The interesting thing is the spread of points. For example, in the lager category, there are no less than 24 beers that all scored withing 3 points of each other. In other word, they are virtually indistinguishable.

My only two gripes about the whole thing were:

1. The judges were overly generous with their scoring

2. There were no BJCP judges on the panel

;)

Berp

I recently sat at a table at a beer dinneer with 2 Matilda bay brewers.
Both favourite beer: Matilda Bay Premier and Carlton Mid
Neither new what Cascade Hops were, or what Westvleteren... was

I've seen the same thing with a LC brewer. When faced with the option of buying a whole bunch of micros he had not seen / heard of (and plenty on encouragement from me to expand his horizons) he instead opted for 2 x 6-packs of LC Bright. Fair dinkum hopeless!

I'm not sure anybody in this forum should really care which 'Aussie lager' gets the gong. We brew beer because we believe we can do a better job, and I certainly don't get my tasting notes from Choice magazine.

That said - Coopers Best Extra is a damned good drop, my views and theirs seemed to converge momentarily on that one.

I couldn't give a flying f*#k what choice says or how subjective it is.

My tastebuds rule my "choices",and I obey them.

90% of the time they lead me to my own HB,and thats why I'm here.
Not to work myself into a pointless lather over what the commercial brewers and drinkers are doing and bagging them.

Pour yourself one of your handmade beers,realise how lucky you are and get over it :excl:

Mr Bond
I think the reason that some people are taking this to heart, is that quite a few people on here would like to have the oppurtunity to brew for a living one day, and as long as the mainstream are still told that new and VB are 2 of the best lagers available in the country, it is going to be harder to change the way people think about beer. Or that is what I guess anyway. With so many good smaller breweries starting up, it would be good to see them get a bit of a chance. Or that is my take on the situation anyway. Otherwise, I too, drink my own HB more than anything.
All the best
Trent

Back