Oh Dear, I Hope My Yeast Is Ok!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanodriver

Reaction score
Hey all,

I tried using a liquid yeast for the first time yesterday (Wyeast British Ale II 1335). I tried to break the yeast packet a few times (tried, but I couldn't find it).

When it was time to pitch, I opened the pack, and it wasn't broken. I ended up cutting it open and pouring it straight into the nutrient, then pitching.

24 hours later, and there's no sign of fermentation (there's a bit of condensation on the lid of my fermenter), and that's all). Have I ruined it?

Worst case, I could always get a packet of S-04 (or use some of the tin yeasts lying around, but that's a last resort).

Cheers,

Dean

The pack is damn tuff, next time just go postal on it.

Should be fine, might just be suffering some serious lag time. I'd wait for 48hrs before panicking too much.

The pack is damn tuff, next time just go postal on it.

Should be fine, might just be suffering some serious lag time. I'd wait for 48hrs before panicking too much.

Thanks for that. I was worried about bursting the pack, y'see :p

I do remember having similar worries about slow-starting K-97 in a previous brew (nearly a year ago, yikes).

I tried to break the yeast packet a few times (tried, but I couldn't find it).

When it was time to pitch, I opened the pack, and it wasn't broken. I ended up cutting it open and pouring it straight into the nutrient, then pitching.

Am I reading this right?

You think that the brown stuff in the plastic insert is the yeast?

The plastic insert actually contains the nutrient, the yeast is the thick, smelly liquid.

It was lucky that you mixed the nutrient into the yeast rather than pitch it straight onto the wort. You may have got away with it, wait and see.

WJ

If the yeast was fresh (mfg date is on it) you should no worries at all. The smack pack has the great advantage of letting you know if you have lots of viable yeast, if the pack is older than 6 months and it does not swell in say 24 hours I would be inclined to use the yeast to make a starter. I smacked a pack of Wyeast last Sunday lunchtime for Monday brew (it was seven months old) and it was like a soccer ball by evening. I have heard tales of 18month old smack packs poured into a starter and stir plated that worked wonderfully.
Don't worry.....it will come to pass.

K

Am I reading this right?

You think that the brown stuff in the plastic insert is the yeast?

The plastic insert actually contains the nutrient, the yeast is the thick, smelly liquid.

It was lucky that you mixed the nutrient into the yeast rather than pitch it straight onto the wort. You may have got away with it, wait and see.

WJ

Ah, thanks for that. I've never actually used liquid yeasts before, so it's a learning experience. I do like to do new things with my brew. This is my first one using a fresh wort kit/liquid yeasts, the previous one was my first toucan, one before was my first using yeast cultured from a bottle (and first partial mash), one before that was my first all-extract beer.

If the yeast was fresh (mfg date is on it) you should no worries at all. The smack pack has the great advantage of letting you know if you have lots of viable yeast, if the pack is older than 6 months and it does not swell in say 24 hours I would be inclined to use the yeast to make a starter. I smacked a pack of Wyeast last Sunday lunchtime for Monday brew (it was seven months old) and it was like a soccer ball by evening. I have heard tales of 18month old smack packs poured into a starter and stir plated that worked wonderfully.
Don't worry.....it will come to pass.

K

Well, IIRC, the pack was only a few months old. I'll give it another day or two before worrying. Should put something cold on it, it's too warm for my liking at 26C.

Thanks for all your help :)

My method for getting the most out of smack packs...

Under aseptic conditions, open the pack. Tip the yeast into a sterile container. There will be about 100ml. Store in the fridge.

Three days before you want to brew, take 10ml out and bring up to room temp, then tip into a prepared wort. I use 50g of light dry malt extract (LDME) in 500ml of boiled water. Shake the mix regularly to aerate the ferment. Once the yeast has started, add another 500ml of LDME wort. Wait some hours then repeat until you have a total of 2 litres.

This way, you have ample yeast cells to innoculate your beer and you can get better value from the pack.

Always use good sanitation practise and you won't have any problem with this method. I have done this many times.

To get even better value, consider reculturing the yeast from your beer in the same way as you do from commercial beers.

WJ (yeast farmer)

I tried to break the yeast packet a few times (tried, but I couldn't find it).

This method works for me:
- Pinch the pack with both hands, working from one end to the other. You'll quickly find the nutrient bubble inside.
- Work the bubble to one end of the pack.
- Place one palm directly under the bubble. It works best if the heel of your palm is directly under it.
- With the other hand, hit the bubble as hard as you can with the heel of your palm.
- Repeat the "pinch & search" procedure to satisfy yourself that the bubble has now been bursted.

Don't worry about hitting the pack too hard. You honestly can't hit it hard enough to pop the outer pack unless it has begun to swell already.

My method for getting the most out of smack packs...

Under aseptic conditions, open the pack. Tip the yeast into a sterile container. There will be about 100ml. Store in the fridge.

Three days before you want to brew, take 10ml out and bring up to room temp, then tip into a prepared wort. I use 50g of light dry malt extract (LDME) in 500ml of boiled water. Shake the mix regularly to aerate the ferment. Once the yeast has started, add another 500ml of LDME wort. Wait some hours then repeat until you have a total of 2 litres.

This way, you have ample yeast cells to innoculate your beer and you can get better value from the pack.

Always use good sanitation practise and you won't have any problem with this method. I have done this many times.

To get even better value, consider reculturing the yeast from your beer in the same way as you do from commercial beers.

WJ (yeast farmer)

Hello Whistlingjack.

I am interested in your handling of liquid yeast as I have not used them because of the cost. A few questions

1.Your method of measuring the 10ml. A hypodermic syringe ?
2.Storage of the unused 90ml. Fridge or freezer ?
3.For how long can the unused portion be kept in the fridge/freezer ?

Thanks

Hello Whistlingjack.

I am interested in your handling of liquid yeast as I have not used them because of the cost. A few questions

Thanks

I use a 10ml syringe with a mixing cannula, but you can estimate the amount. Storage is in the fridge. Do NOT freeze!

I've used yeast after 12 months with no problems.

WJ

This method works for me:
- Pinch the pack with both hands, working from one end to the other. You'll quickly find the nutrient bubble inside.
- Work the bubble to one end of the pack.
- Place one palm directly under the bubble. It works best if the heel of your palm is directly under it.
- With the other hand, hit the bubble as hard as you can with the heel of your palm.
- Repeat the "pinch & search" procedure to satisfy yourself that the bubble has now been bursted.

Don't worry about hitting the pack too hard. You honestly can't hit it hard enough to pop the outer pack unless it has begun to swell already.

Well, there was a bit of air already in the pack, for some reason.

There's a thin krausen now, however I'm not sure whether it's the yeast or an infection.

I hope it's not infected, those fresh wort kits aren't cheap!

Infections generally take a while to take hold and you'll notice a definite difference in the foam created on top.
If you're really worried, take a sample and taste it. She be sweet I say.

Hello Whistlingjack.

Thanks

barry, dealing with re-using or multiplying yeast can get a bit confusing as there are so many ways to do it. I even recently got confused on what the right way was to harvest yeast from your yeast cake. It turns out that I was worried about nothing - once again, several ways to skin a cat.

Re-using the yeast from your yeast cake has worked really well for me and doesn't require using a starter. I had top replies in a recent thread I started on this. You can find it here. If you find the idea of starters a bit daunting, then start with yeast washing using either of the methods described in that thread.

One day though, when I get interested in starters (can't see any advantage as yet,) I'll definitely be re-reading WhistlingJack's post - looks very interesting! For now though, recycling the yeast from the yeast cake is the easiest method for me.

:icon_cheers:
Pat

Holy shit.

I just noticed my lid wasn't tightened properly. That's probably why I saw no bubbling at all for three days.

I've had a taste, and it smells and tastes kinda weird. I don't know if it's just because of the recipe (never brewed with it before), or because of an infection.

Were you using a fermenter with a screw-top lid? They're always hard to close up, but other than causing the brewer to worry about the lack of bubbles :p they work fine.

It's hard to say what the beer should taste like if it's a recipe you're not familiar with. There's really nothing you can do at this stage even if it is an infection. So it might be time to take a beer out of the fridge and relax. :D What was the recipe anyway?

Deano .. for goodness sake, stop bloody panicking.

the best brains in the AHB have tried their best to tell you there probably isn't anything wrong here. Take two homebrews and call us in a week if the beer hasn't finished fermenting and the wort still tastes like my armpits.

<_<

the best brains in the AHB have tried their best to tell you there probably isn't anything wrong here. Take two homebrews and call us in a week if the beer hasn't finished fermenting and the wort still tastes like my armpits.

<_<

BEST advice in this thread so far :p

I use a 10ml syringe with a mixing cannula, but you can estimate the amount. Storage is in the fridge. Do NOT freeze!

I've used yeast after 12 months with no problems.

WJ

Barry3,

WJ is right on the money here. I use a sterilised syringe to split the smack pack into 8 or 10 starters which is enough for me most times. But if you were to farm each of those resulting yeast cakes into another 10 starters each you would get 100 starters for the price of one yeast pack. And that's only second generation. :p
Good value? Too right!

TP :beer:

It's hard to say what the beer should taste like if it's a recipe you're not familiar with. There's really nothing you can do at this stage even if it is an infection. So it might be time to take a beer out of the fridge and relax. :D What was the recipe anyway?

Basically, I used one of those Artisanale fresh wort kits from Grain and Grape (#2), with 40g of Goldings hops. Trying to make an IPA of sorts.

<_<

I figure you're right. After all, it doesn't look too bad. I haven't had an infected batch yet anyway.

Sounds like I should just RDWHAHB :)

We'll see how it is on Sunday when I rack it.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work.

-- Dean

Latest posts

Back