Off Aromas In My Heffeweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine_Brewer

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of Heffeweizen

2kg Pils
2kg Wheat
20g Halletau

18lts OG 1012

The beer tastes good straight from the fermenter but the problem is AROMA.
I am getting some form of off aromas from the beer. I can't pinpoint the problem as the heffe naturally has some interesting aromas going on already.
Any help advice would be great.
cheers.

What yeast did you use, and what temperature was primary fermentation?

I hope that OG is actually your FG, because otherwise you're not going to have any alcohol in your beer.

Don't worry about the aromas at this stage. Yeast do some funny things during fermentation. How long ago did you put it down? My advice would be to leave it on the yeast cake for another few days, then rack to secondary if you like. Then bottle it, and leave it for quite a while after bottling. The yeast will clean up after itself.

I just bottled my first batch of Heffeweizen

I hope that OG is actually your FG, because otherwise you're not going to have any alcohol in your beer.

Don't worry about the aromas at this stage. Yeast do some funny things during fermentation. How long ago did you put it down? My advice would be to leave it on the yeast cake for another few days, then rack to secondary if you like. Then bottle it, and leave it for quite a while after bottling. The yeast will clean up after itself.

Maybe the bottle conditioning will smooth things out. Ill try in a week or so then see what the aromas are doing.

Gday SB

I'm definately no expert here but from what i've heard from Jamil on the Brewing network Hefe yeast works at its best when you follow the 30 degree rule eg pitch at 13 degrees and ferment at 17 degrees , I've just done a Hefe with 60/40 wheat and pils 14 ibu with Hallertau and 3638 wyeast and i shit you not it was one of the best beers i've made so far (pitched 13 ferment 17). Lovely balance of banana and clove with just a hint of bubblegum and really nice malt notes. Couldn't recommend it enough and i also used Zwickels mash regime. Hope this helps because some of my Hefes have been real shockers, you could even say Lawnworthy :lol:

Gday SB

I'm definately no expert here but from what i've heard from Jamil on the Brewing network Hefe yeast works at its best when you follow the 30 degree rule eg pitch at 13 degrees and ferment at 17 degrees , I've just done a Hefe with 60/40 wheat and pils 14 ibu with Hallertau and 3638 wyeast and i shit you not it was one of the best beers i've made so far (pitched 13 ferment 17). Lovely balance of banana and clove with just a hint of bubblegum and really nice malt notes. Couldn't recommend it enough and i also used Zwickels mash regime. Hope this helps because some of my Hefes have been real shockers, you could even say Lawnworthy :lol:

cheers bulp,

Ill give that a try next time.
Im a bit concerned about reusing the yeast from this batch as I dont know what is going on with the aromas as yet. Sometimes I would get very sweet banana aromas and other times I would get a sort of tart/acid off aroma, but the beer still tastes good albeit slightly tart.
As its best to keep this yeast fresh, I will try my beers in a week or so from the bottle and hopefully nothing to funky to put me off. Ill then give the 13/17 a whirl.

Latest posts

Back