Oatmeal stout lacking body

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fraser's BRB said:
G'day all. I brewed the below recipe (adapted from Brewing Classic Styles) a few weeks ago and am drinking now from the keg.

The flavours are all good but I find myself thinking that it feels "thin"? It has the creamy undertone that I'd expect from an oatmeal stout and a nice biscuity note, it just doesn't seem quite where it should be for mouth feel.
I'd give it a bit more time Fraser,

Finally got around to getting a local water analysis sheet, now I just need to figure out what's missing/required. Hopefully that can go some way to addressing the issue.

With a bit of time in the keg and better carbonation a lot of this issue has gone away. Pretty happy with it now.

I will still be looking into the water chemistry side of it for next time as from what I'm learning now, it appears my local water is better suited to paler beers and may require some additions to improve the dark beer situation.

Thanks for the input.

Reman said:
If they are rolled oats they are pre-gelatinised and don't need a cereal mash, aka boil the crap out of them. ;)
gelatinised starches isn't all you are looking for from oats.

Latest posts

Back