oak cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
Where do you get em? I'm after medium toast French or American oak

Would oak chips do you? Your LHBS should have heaps for the sprit makers. You can even get chipped ex-jim beam barrels too.

Try stilldragon online. They do a medium charred oak domino which are good.

Tried LHBS. Only have chips but am keen to get cubes. Will give stilldragon a go cheers hippy

Less end grain, you'll extract less tannins and harsh flavours
Chips also tend to be completely spent old barrels
Mini staves are the best thing that are easily accessible to us, I've used them with great success

I've only used chips, so can't compare, but have had good luck with them. I soaked mine in rum for a week, then strained before using in a brett porter. Love to try oak cubes if they add more flavour though.

Just ordered some :). Don't know if I needed a kilo but hey, I'll find something to put them into.

I just ordered some of the American oak dominos for a barleywine. Anyone got recommendations on quantity / duration for these bad boys

I used a 15g heavily toasted mini stave in 2L of baltic porter for a month and it came out quite nice

I purchased some medium toasted American Oak staves from Enoltech in Hallam. They are about 1 metre long and I got 4 of them for about $12.00.

Perfect for cutting up to the required size to suit my oaking profile or my ageing vessel size so I have as little end grain as possible.

And as they are already medium toasted I can use them as is for ageing one product, or char them to age a different type of product that requires toasted staves.

They have French as well.

http://www.enoltech.com.au/products/pronektar-quality-oak-aditives/pronektar-staves.html

You can also get a box of oak staves from roll out the barrel which is around 5-6 kgs for about $30=-$40 inc postage. (Not sure exactly but it works out really cheap)

staves.jpg

Ok so a few questions about them.

1.) Sanitising them first, how do you do it ? For my brett porter I soaked my oak chips in rum for a week, then added them in. How would I sanitise the dominoes?? I guess I could soak in vodka, which would stop any flavour addition. The chips contributed some slight rum flavours to the porter, which was great, but for say, an oud bruin I'd like to keep the flavour all about the oak.

2.) How much per litre?. I think I used 15g total in my brett porter. I ended up straining them out, rinsing off and adding straight into an oud bruin ( I plan on adding a domino to one half of this beer ).

3.) How long? I guess longer = stronger.

I am now the proud owner of 1kg of American oak dominoes. They smell smell smokier than I expected. Now all I need to do is brew up a barleywine.

IMAG0488.jpg

Haha mine arrived today as well, hence the above questions.

What other beers will you do with them?. A kilo seems to be a lot. I've got a 1.071 wee heavy that I'll definately hit with them ( probably soaked in scotch first :) ), I've brewed a porter for them as well, and will undoubtedly do another brett porter. Might even be game enough to do a small batch of lambic and add them the whole way through. May even do one small one in a mild for something different.

Not really sure yet. Definitely a barleywine and probably a RIS. I plan on doing annual barlwywines, but even so 1kg is a fair bit. I might look to do a swap with someone for some other ingredients.

With the dominoes what would people recommend, mine are roughly around 70 grams and I placed 1 in a brew 3 weeks ago.. contemplating putting another in

Latest posts

Back