Nsw Election - Post Mortem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Heck I never realised how deeply the Govt was despised in New South Wales, just read this from the Telegraph, and News.com is often criticised for being pro Labor, but this is remarkable:

SIXTEEN years of brutal reign ends today - the empire will finally fall. And oh, how the people will rejoice.

Conquered not by a courageous foe but by an unstoppable public revolt, our widely despised Labor Government will tonight be tossed on the scrapheap - its rulers put to the sword, its legacy trampled to dust, its once ruthless army cut down to a mere troupe.

The force that arguably brought NSW to its knees will itself be laid low by the masses, a stark reminder of the consequences of failed governance.

The future of this once potent Labor empire is unthinkably grim. Such is the backlash expected from voters that the party could very well be cast into electoral oblivion for an entire generation.

Election boffins believe it could be at least three terms before Labor can effectively rise from the ashes and once again challenge for the right to govern this state.

Despite its spirited beginnings under the stewardship of Bob Carr, its early successes in project delivery and its sheer dominance over its divided rivals, the history books will not be kind to NSW Labor Government 1995-2011.

It's all about how one finishes the race. The best obituaries are written about those who rise from nothing and finish strong, not those who start heroically before spiralling deep into decay. There will be no commiserations or sympathies uttered at the death of this regime.

This is a government that peaked too early, rising to the apex of accomplishment just as a caped Cathy Freeman scorched the Sydney Olympic track to win gold and capture the nation.

I live in one of the interesting seats, Marrickville......

It's all about Labor vs Greens here......And I sense it's going to be a close one.

Despite its spirited beginnings under the stewardship of Bob Carr, its early successes in project delivery and its sheer dominance over its divided rivals, the history books will not be kind to NSW Labor Government 1995-2011.

I once saw a doco on residential property development in NSW and Harry Triguboff was featured/interviewed, of course. The interviewer asked how he managed to get his major property developments approved and he replied with something along the lines of: "easy, just tell Bob Carr how much stamp duty the state govt will make from the development, development is then approved". Harry reckons the whole place should be concrete, if you want to see trees go to the countryside! He also stated that Morris Iemma (when he was NSW premier) still had some learning to do as far as getting large scale property development approvals was concerned. Morris might have been a bit slow on how big business is done in NSW under a Labor govt. His premiership didn't last long.... ;)

It could be interesting to see what the Libs have in store for NSW over the next few years...

EDIT: Linky here added, just for interests sake.

The worst thing about the whole clusterfuck is that the Lib/Nats didn't really go out with any sharp policy or clever politics to win by the margin they have; they just shut their mouths and let the Labour party self destruct. I'm still surprised that we will only end up with 4 odd independants...

It will be a tough term for O'Farrell at any rate; the shape this state he has inherited is woeful and Labour will do all they can to make it look like it's Bazza's fault

dont these two parties run the country anyway....cheers...spog...
I live in one of the interesting seats, Marrickville......

It's all about Labor vs Greens here......And I sense it's going to be a close one.

icon10.gif

The worst thing about the whole clusterfuck is that the Lib/Nats didn't really go out with any sharp policy or clever politics to win by the margin they have; they just shut their mouths and let the Labour party self destruct. I'm still surprised that we will only end up with 4 odd independants...

It will be a tough term for O'Farrell at any rate; the shape this state he has inherited is woeful and Labour will do all they can to make it look like it's Bazza's fault

Yeah, small target strategy. Ugh, I hate it- both parties used it in the Federal election and the NSW parties decided it was a good idea.

Latest posts

Back