Northern English Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcqueen

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I put down on the 3rd this month a northern English ale which has gone well with fermentation at about 18c for the first week. Nice healthy krausen and then the temp steadily dropped to about 16c. I invested in a heat pad and the beer has been sitting for about a week at a nice 20c. It looked like fermentation continued and I waited for the krausen to clear.
Anyway, to cut a long story short even as I type this the krausen is still there which makes me think that fermentation has suspended.
The recipe is thus:
Specialty grains 70g 2kg of dark dry malt extract450 g of dextroseHalf a whirflocChallenger and fuggles hops2 g yeast nutrient
Wyeast 1028 London ale
OG 1047Expecting fg of 1008 it's currently stuck at 1012
I'll wait another week anyway and see, but I would of thought the light foam on top would drop out by now. It's lighter than the krausen I had earlier.. Any thoughts?

Probably just typical for that yeast amcquenn, I haven't used it myself. Because the you have kept the temp up there that may keep the head from dropping, cooling will cause it to drop. If you were expecting 1.008 then give it a gentle swirl or stir with a sanitised spoon, it may have stalled. Look for consistent hydro readings over 2-3 days.

with a gravityof 1012 and 2kg of malt and 450g dex i would bottle it..i would say the brew has finished and with the weather being so cold lately you wouldn't have to worry about your bottles carbonating quickly..

Back